Priming solutuon or carbonation drops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zsandbox

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to brewing (2 complete batches and 1 in secondary) and had a couple question about how you carbonate your brews. With my first 2 batches I used Coopers carbonation drops which worked well. I am considering using a priming solution with my batch (Irish Red) that is currently in secondary. Should I stick with the drops to reduce oxidization when transferring to the bottling bucket from the carboy or just go with the priming solution? Also is there any real advantage of one over the other? I used brown sugar in this batch should I make a priming solution using it or just a corn sugar solution. Sorry I know I'm a brewb and have lots of questions that may have been answered in other threads so I would appreciate any helpful feedback or links to previously answered questions. Thank you and I am glad to be part of the brewing community.

I don't think there's any real advantage to one over the other, it depends on what you like or think is easy.

Personally, I use table sugar (about 4.5 oz) so I don't have to buy anything special. Just bring a cup or two of water to a boil and mix it in. Let it sit for a minute, then put it into the bottom of the bottling bucket and rack on top of it. If you put your hose all the way to the bottom. You won't get any aeration.

Carbonation drops are more expensive, and as punderdru said it won't add any additional oxygen therefore I'd recommend some corn sugar prepared as mentioned above. As an added bonus, when measuring out your own priming sugar you can control the level of carbonation to fit a style, something that may become more important to you in your brewing future.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go ahead and give the priming solution a shot on Friday when I bottle. When I add it to the bucket and start transferring the beer into it, does that provide enough mixing or should I stir it slowly a few times to make sure it's mixed well?

carbonation drops are more expensive, and as punderdru said it won't add any additional oxygen therefore i'd recommend some corn sugar prepared as mentioned above. As an added bonus, when measuring out your own priming sugar you can control the level of carbonation to fit a style, something that may become more important to you in your brewing future.

+1

I'm experimenting with KremeyX priming sugar. Basically a priming sugar with heading powder . made by Muntons. I've always measured by weight my priming sugar after I've racked my brew into the bucket. Some do it before hand. I've had a consistant carb this way.

Back