Thoughts on this Dbl. Choc. Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maffewl

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am starting my third batch tomorrow, have all the ingredients below with some to spare... just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this recipe list... I would like it to have the flavor of Young's Double Chocolate Stout, but finish with a hint more chocolate flavor... Any advice on adding or subtracting ingredients, or brewing process, would be greatly appreciated.

Og 1.053 Fg 1.013
Ibu 28

.5lb briess golden light DME
4lb 2oz northern brewer organic light LME
8oz 2-row rahr pale ale malt
11oz briess caramel crystal malt (60L)
13oz simpsons chocolate malt
12oz lactose
8oz table sugar
4oz raw cane sugar
6oz cocoa powder (added in secondary)
.33 oz liquid chocolate extract (added in secondary)
1tsp irish moss (15 min)
1/2 tsp yeast nutrients (15 min)
7 AAU fuggles hops (60 min)
1.25 AAU kent golding hops (15 min)
wyeast 1318
.75 C corn sugar (priming)

It looks solid, but I'd suggest simplifying. I'd replace the 2-row, table sugar, and raw cane sugar, with more light extract. The sugar will just dry out the beer, and the 2-row needs to be mashed (the crystal and chocolate are fine to steep on their own).

I'd hold off on the lactose and chocolate extract and add them to taste at bottling if needed. I'd also adjust your priming sugar lower, especially if you end up with less than 5 gallons of beer in the bottling bucket.

Hope that helps, good luck.

I definitely second the comment above, table/raw sugar in a stout is going to give an undesired effect, and there's definitely no need for 2 row. I'm also curious as to why you're using two different types of light malt extract? I'm assuming it's what you have on hand?

Also you're going to want some dark malt extract and a little black malt or roasted barley (gotta have that roast character)- maybe even darker on the crystal malt. As it stands the ingredients aren't as close to stout-like as they should be, imo.

In terms of chocolate, I would considering tossing either some cocoa powder or nibs at boil out, then performing a secondary with more nibs or dissolved cocoa powder...then consider adding some chocolate extract in the end. Two things I've learned with chocolate extract, though: 1. A little goes a long way and 2. The flavor can taste a tad bit "fake", almost chalky.

Thanks for the responses! I found this recipe online, and since I'm a noob, it seemed like something that was plausible for me. I have everything purchased and waiting to be brewed so you are correct in assuming that I'm using what I have. I also posted this in the beginners forum and received some excellent ideas as well. I will definitely take everyone's advice and do without the sugar, and replace it with more LME or DME... (is there a conversion rate for sugar to extract?) Also, I very much appreciate all of your time to help us beginners out. With regards to the 2 row malt, I bought it crushed... and you mentioned not steeping it... should I instead just convert that amount over to the correct amount of LME and do without the 2 row? Ps... what is nibs?

Nibs are pieces of the cocoa bean separated from the husk and are often used when brewing chocolate beers to incorporate that dark flavor.

I would highly recommended holding off on brewing until you can get some roasted barley or black patent, though I guess the chocolate could impart some of that toasty flavor. I don't have the conversion rate for cane sugar to malt extract off the top of my head but the info could be easily found on these forums

Sounds like the nibs might be out of the question but I could get some roasted barley here locally... about how much would you suggest? I ask this because I don't quite understand yet how much of each ingredient to use without having a recipe and conversions, or some basis to go off of... just saying that because I know my questions are completely newbies... thanks again for all the help.

You'd be surprised, just for kicks see if your LHBS would know where to get it. I would say a half pound (8 oz) of Roasted Barley would do it some good.

I have to agree with Oldsock on the priming sugar. I used three-quarters of a cup of corn sugar in my first chocolate stout and it was waaaaaay too carbinated after a couple of weeks of bottle conditioning (but one week after bottling it was PERFECT...sometimes it's too bad you cant stop it from conditioning).

TheBrewAbides said:
I have to agree with Oldsock on the priming sugar. I used three-quarters of a cup of corn sugar in my first chocolate stout and it was waaaaaay too carbinated after a couple of weeks of bottle conditioning (but one week after bottling it was PERFECT...sometimes it's too bad you cant stop it from conditioning).

Home pasteurization is possible but somewhat tricky/dangerous, the cider section has a sticky on it I believe

Back