How to sparge with multi step infusion mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castlefreak

Reaction score
So I want to brew a belgian pale and sour it over the next couple years. I also wanted to attempt to mash it using a flemish sour multi step mash schedule. Here's what I've found so far:

11 lbs. total grain weight @ 72 F.

11 qts water @ 132 F = 122 F for 20 mins
4.7 qts water @ boiling = 145 F for 40 mins
6.3 qts water @ boiling = 162 F for 30 mins
4.8 qts water @ boiling = 170 F for 5 mins

This starts at 1 qt/lb and ends with 2.4 qt/lb. Is that too thin? How do I sparge this when the volume of wort will already be 6.71 gallons?

Or, do I have this all wrong? A little advice, please.

Cheers!

I'm guessing you're mashing in a cooler. I really don't know the answer to your question, but I have a slightly different idea that might work.

I've done some BIAB batches and I feel that BIAB might be good for multi step. If your pot is large enough for BIAB and you can put something (like a small pot or metal bowl) under the BIAB I would think you could use direct heat to hit your mash steps. You could also remove the bag and put it in another pot while you raise the temperature. I've tried this yet, but it's something I've been considering and might work for you.

2.4qts/lb is still ok. As for volume, remember your grains will asorb a little over 1.25 (1.38 actually) gallons of water, leaving you with 5.4 gallons post mash. You then can sparge with 2.1 gallons for 6.5gal into the boiler.

2.4qts/lb is still ok. As for volume, remember your grains will asorb a little over 1.25 (1.38 actually) gallons of water, leaving you with 5.4 gallons post mash. You then can sparge with 2.1 gallons for 6.5gal into the boiler.

I assume you mean sparge with 2.1 quarts.

You're right, I didn't account for water loss in the grains. That makes me feel better.

I'm guessing you're mashing in a cooler. I really don't know the answer to your question, but I have a slightly different idea that might work.

I've done some BIAB batches and I feel that BIAB might be good for multi step. If your pot is large enough for BIAB and you can put something (like a small pot or metal bowl) under the BIAB I would think you could use direct heat to hit your mash steps. You could also remove the bag and put it in another pot while you raise the temperature. I've tried this yet, but it's something I've been considering and might work for you.

I am using a 10 gal converted cooler. My brewpot is only 7 gal so I don't think I'll be able to do the BIAB. That's definitely something to consider in the future. Thanks!

I am using a 10 gal converted cooler. My brewpot is only 7 gal so I don't think I'll be able to do the BIAB. That's definitely something to consider in the future. Thanks!

Cool. After seeing Newbeerguy's calculations that seems like a great way to go. I didn't realize the absorption wasn't account for. This is where beersmith comes in handy. Definitely keep this updated with your results, I'm curious to know how this turns out as I plan on doing some similar multi step brews one of these days.

Just curious, why is it possibly detrimental? Is there ANY benefit to it?

If you have a highly modified malt (most all malts now) and use a long protien rest, it can lead to excess protien degradation that will effect body and head retention. If you insist on doing a protien rest with a highly modified malt, I suggest 10mins at 133.

If you're into the more technical aspect of why, check out www.braukaiser.com. Some really great stuff on there.

I assume you mean sparge with 2.1 quarts.

You're right, I didn't account for water loss in the grains. That makes me feel better.

Nope, I meant gallons, but not 2.1, only 1.1. My math skills were a bit off :drunk:

That will give you 6.5 pre boil gallons. Assume you boil off 1 gal/hr then .5 gallon loss to trub/racking that will net you 5 gallons :mug:

Back