really dumb stirplate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
working on making a stirplate right now, and i have a dumb question (probably overthinking this, but...)
what kind of glue is everyone using to hold their magnet(s) down? i'm going to be using two rare earth magnets from Ace, and they're pretty slick, so i'm concerned about the glue sticking.

Out of my ignorance:

Will the magnets not stay in place just stuck to a metal disc or somthing? I'm planning on gluing a disk on my fan's hub, and then leaving my magnets adjustable.

No glue is necessary. And it probably wouldn't stick anyway, as you say. Even at full fan speed, stacked 2 or 3 high, they didn't budge for me.

I glued a 1.5 inch washer to the fan with 5 minute epoxy. The magnet sticks to the washer and is adjustable..

hot glue gun worked on mine
P.S. Hot glue also isn't quite as permanent as some other methods (super glue, various epoxies). It seems to hold everything securely, but you can disassemble things if you need to. So if my fan cr@ps out on me in a couple years, it'll be a little easier to peel the washer loose and replace the fan.

I used epoxy but it didn't stick. The magnet stays put stuck to whatever metal is under the plastic fan blade piece. No problems. In fact it has been running over night with White Labs California V Ale yeast WLP051. I will be brewing my Brown Eyed Girl (American brown ale) all grain batch #4 starting in a while. Looks like it will be a good day for it today.

You can see the recipe at Hopville.com. Same username.

If gluing, make sure you hold the magnets down until the glue sets. Otherwise they'll pull themselves together and you'll have 2 RE magnets glued together. Double whammy. Near impossible to separate. Or use a temporary spacer until the glue sets.

TyTanium said:
If gluing, make sure you hold the magnets down until the glue sets. Otherwise they'll pull themselves together and you'll have 2 RE magnets glued together. Double whammy. Near impossible to separate. Or use a temporary spacer until the glue sets.

I figured that out the hard way. Used a penny as a spacer, bringing my total cost so far up to $0.01

I ended up using some "household cement" looks like off-brand duco. I'll post if it blows up.

Back