Blonde Ale Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryceL

Reaction score
I'll be brewing a blonde ale tomorrow and thought I could get some critique and hop schedule suggestions. This one will be a bit different for a blonde ale using some hops with spicy notes and english ale yeast. I'm still tweaking the hop schedule so suggestions are welcome. I'm shooting for 25-28 IBU's.

BIAB 5.25 gallons
Grain Bill:
9.5# Pale 2-row
0.5# Carapils
0.5# Crystal 15L
0.25# Munich

Mash at 150 for 60 mins. Batch sparge at 170.

Hops:
Spalter (3.5%)
Saaz (3.0%)
Cascade (5.5%)

Looks good to me. I would use the Cascade for bittering and save the Saaz for a late addition- just because you'd have to add a whole lot of hops with alpha acids in the 3% range to get up to 25 to 28 IBUs. It should be a tasty brew- as you mention, not really a traditional blonde ale. Call it a dirty blonde.

Looks good to me. I would use the Cascade for bittering and save the Saaz for a late addition- just because you'd have to add a whole lot of hops with alpha acids in the 3% range to get up to 25 to 28 IBUs. It should be a tasty brew- as you mention, not really a traditional blonde ale. Call it a dirty blonde.

Haha nice with the name. I think I will use the cascade for bitering, maybe save just a bit for the flame out and use saaz for the late addition. Thanks!

Back