Question for stout recipe-sweeter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpiper

Reaction score
I brewed a 2 gallon test batch of this. 11 weeks after bottling, it's good enough that I want to make a 5 gallon batch. As good as it is, I'd still like to tweak the flavor a little. I'd like to bring out more of the sweetness and especially chocolate/vanilla flavors. Not sure where the hint of vanilla is coming from but it's there.

I'm only a beginner, on my 10th batch, but I'm guessing adding to the chocolate malt will add to the chocolate flavor! How much though? Would doubling be overkill? Any other tweaks to suggest in terms of hop adjustments or other specialty grains? Some of you will know what flavors result from certain hops/grains. I'm still learning, so thanks for any info. I'm also wondering if more sweetness will come out with another 3 months of conditioning.

The following amounts are odd because they represent the original batch (2.13 gallon) adjusted to 5. I'll eventually round.

Komrade Katt Imperial Stout
---------------------------
Brewer: Redpiper
Style: Imperial Stout
Batch: 5.00 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.096 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 52 IBU
Recipe Color: 58° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.024
Alcohol by Volume: 9.3%
Alcohol by Weight: 7.3%

Ingredients
-----------
Black Patent (US) 0.47 lb, Grain, Steeped
Briess DME - Pilsen Light 9.50 lb, Extract, Extract
CaraMunich 0.70 lb, Grain, Steeped
Chocolate Malt (US) 1.17 lb, Grain, Steeped
Roasted Barley 1.17 lb, Grain, Steeped

Fuggles (U.K.) 0.58 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Fuggles (U.K.) 0.58 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Perle 1.52 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Styrian Golding (Slovenia) 1.88 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes

European Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast,

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:
Yeast - Nottinham or s-04

The easy way to sweeten a stout is to add lactose to it. Its a nonfermentable sugar. The easy way to add a chocolate flavor is to add 8oz Fat Free Hershey's cocoa powder to the end of the boil. For Vanilla, I've secondaried on a single split vanilla bean for 3 days and it picked up the flavor nicely.

I'm intrigued by the vanilla bean in secondary. I've never secondaried, but am considering getting a better bottle for this brew and adding the bean. Also wondering if this is the time to add some baking chocolate powder. I don't want a chocolate stout, but I do like hints of the flavor.

Would adding some at flameout bring a stronger or weaker flavor than 5 days secondary?

Do the bean or the chocolate need any kind of special treatment for sanitation?

I use both in my chocolate stout. The cocoa powder, I add in the latter part of the boil so sanitation isn't an issue with it. Adding it to the boil, allows it to infuse the flavor well right through primary and then it settles out in the yeast cake, leaving flavor behind.

If you're not wanting a ton of chocolate flavor, I'd just try upping your chocolate malt instead of using cocoa powder. Probably wouldn't double it. Maybe raise it by 30-50% and see how that works.

I spray my vanilla bean down with starsan before I split and scape it for secondary. I use one vanilla bean and don't get a whole lot of vanilla flavor from it. It's just enough to temper the bitterness from the cocoa powder I put in and to accentuate the flavor from it. If you want detectable vanilla flavor from beans, you might want to add two or use a good natural vanilla extra and add it to taste.

Latest posts

Back