Is there any brew software that exports in json format?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd-santaclarita

Reaction score
I'm looking to start automating some of the recipe/mash setup type of functions and wondering if theres any tools that deal in json format to make it easy to deal with downstream. For instance, I'd like to save a recipe file as json in git, then fire off a script to grab some of the important brew day data and auto-populate the brew system scripts such as fill volume, strike temp, mash temp, mash time, boil time, hop addition amounts and time, gravity info, etc, etc. Being able to export out in json would make this much easier in python.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
JD

Not that I'm aware of. Beersmith has a .xml export feature, and I believe Brew Target uses .xml as well.

You may want to send Brad Smith, the maker of Beersmith, an email with this request. Who knows, it might be something he can add to the next update release.

BrewTarget and Beersmith both use Beer XML. You may need to write an ETL script that'd convert to JSON if that's your preferred method.

Not that I'm aware of. Beersmith has a .xml export feature, and I believe Brew Target uses .xml as well.

You may want to send Brad Smith, the maker of Beersmith, an email with this request. Who knows, it might be something he can add to the next update release.

Exporting in XML is not yet enabled in Beersmith. The help file says it "is expected to be available in an update shortly."

Exporting in XML is not yet enabled in Beersmith. The help file says it "is expected to be available in an update shortly."

It is for me. Maybe you need to update your Beersmith. I'm on v2.1.02
Beersmith screenshot.jpg

Since you just bought it, you probably have to have recipes in order to first export (not sure if you do yet). Then highlight a recipe, select File, then Export Selected (the menu heading on the screenshot says "Export All", but that was the Export Selected Menu although I do have both options). This is the Linux version, so maybe it's a little different.

Since you just bought it, you probably have to have recipes in order to first export (not sure if you do yet). Then highlight a recipe, select File, then Export Selected (the menu heading on the screenshot says "Export All", but that was the Export Selected Menu although I do have both options). This is the Linux version, so maybe it's a little different.

OK, works now. I have to select the recipe from the "My Recipes" window for it to work. If I have the recipe open, it's not enabled.

I'll play around with the different formats and see what works best. Looks like the XML output is just in raw code.

Back