Suggestions on a dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Athos710

Reaction score
I brewed this back in May before I deployed. It was in primary for 2.5 weeks, and I racked it to secondary the morning I flew out.

19C American Barley Wine (extract) - 5 gallon
14.3 lbs Light LME
1 lb Aromatic
1 lb Crystal 120L
1 lb Clover Honey (5min)
2 oz Centennial Leaf (60 min)
2 oz Simcoe Leaf (30 min)
2 oz Willamette Leaf (5 min)
Dry Hop - TBD
WLP 099 Super High gravity
WLP 007 Dry English Ale
WLP 001 California Ale

From Beer Calculus at Hopville.com
OG 1.117 (actual was 1.098)
FG 1.028 (I didn't take a reading when I racked to secondary)
18 SRM
91.5 IBU
11.9% ABV

Yeah, pitching the 3 different vials was not ideal, but they're what I had on hand and I'd rather use them than have let them sit for 7 months (and I hadn't done a starter of any of them, so I needed to pitch multiple vials anyway).

I'm glad I rigged a blowoff tube for this one. Despite being in a 6 gallon carboy, it would have blown the airlock off the primary, no problem. A friend keeping an eye on my place has been topping of the airlock for me for the last 4 months. When he sends me a picture, I'll post it up here for all to see my 5 gallons of bulk aging barleywine gloriousness.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should dry hop this with when I get back in 8 weeks? I gotta tell you, there's nothing like 7,000 miles of separation to keep you from messing with your bulk aging carboy :cross:

That sounds delish and is something to look forward to for sure. Why not go with one ounce each of the hops used in the boil? That should have both some good floral and earthy aromas. Cheers!

1 oz Centennial
1 oz Simcoe
1 oz Willamette

That sounds delish and is something to look forward to for sure. Why not go with one ounce each of the hops used in the boil? That should have both some good floral and earthy aromas. Cheers!

1 oz Centennial
1 oz Simcoe
1 oz Willamette

You can never go wrong reinforcing whats in the boil. Love simcoe and centennial for dryhop

Back