Splashing during racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omahawk

Reaction score
I'm on my first brew, and have an itchy trigger finger. So, today I peeked into my primary after 3 weeks and it was seriously cloudy with floating chunks of crud and hops all over the surface and against the sides of the bucket (I dry hopped last week). Against the counseling of some members of this fine board, I decided to rack to a secondary for a week before bottling. In my first use of the autosiphon, I had some splashing due to pumping the autosiphon too hard. I would describe the event as a short-lived (5 seconds long) mini aeration (a little bit of churning). :mad: It's putting off some pressure from the secondary, so I'm assuming the CO2 is keeping the oxygen at bay for now.

What's done is done. At this point, would I be better off:

1) Proceeding as planned and letting it sit in secondary for a week.
2) Prime and bottle that sucker tonight.

Thanks for the advice.

It takes a lot of splashing and other things to do any damage to our beer, someone on basic brewing years ago, (Palmer, or Chris Colby of BYO) said that in order to truly provide enough O2 to oxydize our beers it would take pumping and entire one of our red oxygen bottle/airstones into our beer AFTER fermentation is complete.

Most of the splashing intentional or accidental that we do in the course of our brewing will not harm it...Including pumping with your auto siphon...

So I wouldn't worry.

Read this to see what we've managed to do and our beer still mananged to turno out okay;

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

And beside Oxygenation damage isn't immediate anyway, most of us would have our beer drunk long before it would happen.

So I would just relax it is much hardier that you think it is.

Just proceed with you normal plans.

(But see what you got for not listenning to us :D)

(But see what you got for not listening to us :D)

:D You were the first one that came to mind when I made that statement.

Thanks for the advice. After 21 days, it still tastes pretty bad. I'm assuming it will be several weeks before I'm drinking this EPA.

Latest posts

Back