How big is too big for a starter before decanting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scout7729

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew a 5 gallon batch here in a couple of days and i'm trying to figure how to handle the starter. According to the pitching calculator from Mr.Malty I need nearly a 3 liter starter. I've never done one this big so I was wondering at what point you need to start decanting the wort off the starter, 3 liters seems like it would start to effect the flavor. Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Happy Holidays.

I take it you're making a doppelbock or similar?

I always decant the wort off the top, swirl it up, and pitch. Doesn't matter how big the starter is or what type of beer I'm making.

Yeah, I always try to make my starter several days in advance so the fermentation can finish and I can put it in the fridge to settle. Then decant as best as possible. It sucks not being able to sparge as much just because you know you'll be adding X liters of starter to your wort at the end of the boil.

I recently made a 3.8 liter starter for a Pilsner. Lager yeast drops pretty quick on it's own so I didn't try to crash it, just kept it around 60 degrees. On brew day it was still bubbling a little but decanted and pitched the slurry. It took about 12 hours to get going but I also had the carboy in a fridge for a couple hours before pitching to drop the temp closer to 57 degrees.

There was a BN show where Chris White stated "Anything 2000ml or under no need to decant" I always decant unless I am in a hurry I plan one extra day for my yeast to settle out.

I always decanted since I started using a stir plate. That wort is oxidized and tastes horrible.

Back