My list of first equipment purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamd

Reaction score
My plan initially is to brew 5 gallons malt extracts. Within one and a half months, I would like to purchase another primary and secondary fermenter, to have two brews going at once. Within 3 months I would like to go to all-grain, while purchasing the grinder for that.

Looking to get Super Deluxe Beer Making Kit
$189.49
Austin Homebrew Supply

5 gallon glass carboy as secondary fermenter
$35.99

40 qt stainless steel pot
$62.99

Propane burner:
Black Metal or High Output? I do envision myself upgrading to 10 and 20 gallon batches within 6 months fwiw

Beer plate filter, plus 10 coarse, 10 medium pads:
$99.99

I have 6 corny kegs along with 4 bottles of 5lb co2 already.

I'll worry about the ingredients and sanitizers later.

Am I missing anything important? Right here this is about $550 after ingredients and sanitizers, depending on which burner I get. I can't really think of anything more I would need, but obviously I'm a noob so help would be appreciated. I know alot of this depends on what I want to do and if I didn't make it clear, I would appreciate questions to me so I can understand how to make it clear. :mug:

get a couple extra airlocks (especially if you order more fermenters/carboys) or else you'll be short some day (not that it's ever happened to me :mad:) when you've got a brew boiling away only to realize you're short an airlock.

I'd also pick up at least one digital instant read thermometer from Amazon.com or somewhere else

Since you're paying for shipping anyways from AHS - take advantage of their flat-rate shipping and order some ingredients and sanitizers...

Thanks AZ I will definitely pick up some extra airlocks and get a good digital thermometer going.

carne,
Where in SD are you? I'm in east county the lakeside/alpine area. Also, the filter is something I'm very anal about, I'm willing to pony up the extra cash to not have cloudy beer. Will definitely keep an eye out for carboys and pots on craigslist before I make my purchases.

I'm in the South Park/Golden Hill area. There's a lot of stuff that comes up on CL all the time. Someone just sold a bunch of glass carboys for 7 bucks each on there last week.

And for the filter, I understand... I just cold crash and give it time and I have perfectly clear beer, and the filters are just too pricy and sort of an extra step of annoyance for me.

As far as the burner goes the 10 psi is good for the 40qt pot. However if you do go bigger you'll want a 20 or 30 psi. The high output at ahb is a 30 I believe (bayou classic banjo).

Back