Brewed a Belgian Heffe Sunday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS98M

Reaction score
Brewed a Heffe this weekend,with grains gotten a few weeks ago from LHBS-performed the ol' rolling pin crush of most of the grains on the counter(they didn't appear to be fine enough)-mashed/boiled/cooled/pitched....took around 7-8 hrs.to get going(didn't make a starter),came home from work this afternoon and the whole kitchen smelled of bananas:ban: ,looked at the primary and what to my eyes do I see-3 inches of krausen,first time I've had this much on any of my beers-the airlock(tube in bottle of sanitizer) is at a constant bloop,bloop,bloop.The yeast is doing "the happy dance" and I'm very happy......I downloaded the trial Beersmith and it calculates about 78% effiency-YAH-HOO.At this point I've got to believe that brew day was a success.....
One question related to fermentation though-How long should this be primaried ?
I've read that four days is the norm,I've used the ol' one bubble from the airlock a minute rule with good success .
Also in true Heffe fashion I intend to bottle this so as to have the full Heffe yeast cloudiness etc... Would this beer take well to kegging or should I just plan on bottling ?
Shane

last "wheat beer" (;)) i bottled was awesome. i've had some Franziskaner on tap that was pretty damn good too.

i'd leave it in the primary for at least 10 days. It will probably be finished by then. No need for secondary, especially if you want the cloudiness.

Homebrewer, I stand corrected-German Heffe...My first one-I'm just excited...

Deathbrewer, It's from Brewferm(Belgium) called Blanche .

Both,I also have had the chance to partake in a good number of Fransizkahners-(spl) both bottled and on tap,enjoyed them very much-Love the "fatman"!!

Now-bottle or keg ? bottle or keg ? bottle or keg ? bottle or keg ?

I'd like to retain the cloudiness of a good wheat. Shane

i just polished off a keg of bavarian hefe. i left it in primary for two weeks and racked straight to keg. at 13 psi, it has the perfect carbonation level and cloudiness right to the last drop.

homebrewer99-He just looks so happy holding his stein(must be full)-prolly got a load on....

Back