Using a bottle jack for a sculpture... totally asinine or genius?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my first AG this weekend and am still working out of the kitchen. I would like to skip the turkey burner phase and go straight to a sculpture, I would like to use a quick disconnect fitting to tap into my house's NG so I don't have to mess with tanks.

I was looking at the 3 tier and single tier systems, to me messing with pumps/hoses/disconnects seems like a PITA where the height of a 3 tier seems its downfall. I was thinking of doing a single tier where the HLT and MLT would sit atop a platform mounted to a long throw bottle jack. With a 15" throw it would easily raise one enough to gravity feed into the next pot, assuming I get 60qt megapots (14 1/4"H). Harbor Freight even has one with a 20" throw. You'd only have to raise and lower them a coupe times per brew day. The BK would just drain into a fermenter on ground level.

Problem is that I'm just doing my first batch and don't know the in's and out's of AG so I may be totally overlooking something.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200312709_200312709

I thought of doing the same thing...but then I ran the numbers. Instead of a gravity sculpture, it was cheaper to just buy a march pump to move liquid around. Sculptures are great, but in my case I just couldn't justify all the work and money it would take to build it. If I were a welder and had extra material on hand I'd jump on building one in a heartbeat!

My setup:
DSCF0154.JPG

You could easily build/buy a couple NG burners instead of using propane. I like single tier brew sculptures the best, but to fly sparge you'll need two pumps. If you want to cut cost, a two tier sculpture is a good way to go.

I remember reading about a guy who did his rig using a large threaded rod type lift system that he vultured off a piece of industrial equipment. He actaully put a pneumatic gun to it and rased the kettle up to gravity feed the fermenter. Worked great I guess.

I was thinking of something like this

14445_lg.gif

I would build it into a single tier sculpture and make a platform for the HLT and one for the MLT. I don't know if it would be worth the hassle, a 2 tier may be better. And I will definitely be doing 10g batches with the sculpture.

If you make a rig with hydraulics, I think you're required to put spinning rims, fuzzy dice and a horn that plays La Bamba on it too. :D

I used a simple block and tackle to lift the containers were I brewed in California. Or you could use one of these:

142919_med.gif

1000 lbs, it's ready for that 2 barrel system you know you want.

This thread seems familiar somehow.

Lol, I guess great minds think alike. I think I'm leaning toward a 2 tier now with one pump. This way the only thing I have to pump is HLT water to the MLT, everything else would be gravity fed, would also keep the height reasonable. Probably 24" to the bottom of the BK, 38 1/2" to the top of the BK/HLT and about 62 1/2" to the top of the MLT cooler, probably short enough to not need a step.

Yes. One pump with two hoses makes the "from" and "to" completely flexible between any pumping operation you come up with. You're talking about an initial outlay of only $18 or so for two hose end QDs and two males. Add another $2 for each from/to you need to add.

Back