Broken bine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewBlue

Reaction score
I have some third-year Cascades growing and my largest bine broke about 2'–3' from the crown. It has started to develop lateral shoots. I initially thought I would just train the lateral shoots.

But then I read somewhere online that laterals can only grow so long (maybe 40") and that won't be enough to reach its potential.

I have not trimmed the other shoots yet. So now I am wondering whether I should just cut the broken bine and go with one of the other shoots since it is still early in the season. But then again, the other shoots aren't as thick and vigorous-looking as the broken bine...

So, should I train the laterals, or cut the broken bine and go with one of the other shoots? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

At this point in the season, the plants are putting out what's called 'vegetative growth' so if you train one of those laterals it will grow like a normal vine. If this were to have happened around the summer solstice, those laterals would act just like any other lateral that forms (they'll grow to the common length for that particular variety and produce hops). This is due to the plant moving from a vegetative to reproductive growth mode as a result of day length changing. For now you're good to go by training a sidearm!

Was the broken bone hollow? If it was it is a bull shoot that should be trimmed to allow other shoots grow
Being hollow they are not as strong and break. Also downy mold can hide in the center.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I didn't know about the vegetative/reproductive growth cutoff, so that is helpful knowledge.

Actually, upon looking at it, it may be a Bull Shoot. Please see the attached pic and let me know what you think. Granted, the pic was taken a couple days after the break, but it does look hollow inside. I have heard of this phenomenon before but hadn't encountered it with my own plants yet.

So would the consensus be to cut it and train another? And if so, is there any way to know a bull shoot before it breaks (so I can cut it sooner in the future)?

FullSizeRender.jpg

Back