Old brew kit supplies - are they worth keeping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
Hi all
As you can see, I am a newbie to the forum and relatively new to home brewing. I started out with a Mr. B kit my wife got me a couple years ago and have graduated to a 5 gallon setup through the kindness of my family on father's day.

My question is this; I was cleaning out a storage area for my brewing supplies and I found I still had two bags of "booster" from the Mr. B kits. In their kits this is added as a fermentable in most recipes. Is there any use for this stuff in my big boy brewing (yeah I'm cheap and a pack rat)?

Just curious

what exactly is in the 'booster'? if you're getting into extract, partial-mash, or all-grain brewing, i'd scrap it, you probably won't need it.

I think the booster is essentially DME and maybe some dextrose.
It's all sugars of different qualities. Mostly dextrose though. It's nothing more than a powdered adjunct. It may have gelatin or something added to it because it gets kinda clumpy if the water's not up to temp and you don't stir it.

Throw it in a session beer brew. It may not help, but might just up your SG.

yeah, can't hurt. just dump it in one of your boils, it will boost the ABV a little.

Back