Hops Invasion! Possibly Cutworm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Django

Reaction score
This is my second year attempting to grow hops, first year making a concerted effort (last year was one Centennial rhizome in a pot on the front porch, dismal results).

I have 4 crowns from Great Lakes Hops in a raised bed, planted a week ago. They get eastern sun with a block on afternoon sun--it's a good setup.

So things are going swimmingly, all 4 are green, growing, looking happy--I have a Cascade, Columbus, Glacier, and Chinook--but in the past couple of days the leaves on the Chinook have been chomped on. Like half of the leaf, lengthwise, gone on probably 50% of the leaves.

I did some investigation this evening with a flashlight and discovered this guy on one of the Chinook shoots:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131697497@N02/17251277761/

From my reading, I found that this is most likely a cutworm of the Spodoptera persuasion.

So I nabbed this guy for observation and ended up throwing some diatomaceous earth around the base of all 4 of my plants. Earlier in the evening I had sprayed them with some Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew, thinking I would cast a wide net and get whatever was eating these leaves.

Does anybody have thoughts on what else I could be doing to head these things off? They seem to be pretty destructive. They're getting my peas in my vegetable garden as well. I ordered some Bonide Thuricide BT that will be here this weekend, but don't know if that's overkill.

I want these hops to LIVE!!!!

photo (4).jpg

photo (5).jpg

If anybody is interested, I ended up getting a bottle of Bonide Thuricide BT Insect Killer. Haven't seen a cutworm since. Highly recommended.:eek:nestar:

Latest posts

Back