Hop schedule for strong non-grapefruity batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moors

Reaction score
Please comment on this hop schedule for a non-grapefruity batch. I'm tired of the grapefruit-beer trend. I'm looking for a strong (70 IBU) with big aromatics without resorting to grapefruit. The beer is light-pale with OG of 1.080:

2oz Brewers Gold 45 minutes (0.162 utilization at 9%AA = 44 IBU)
2oz Brewers Gold 15 minutes (0.087 utilization at 9%AA = 23 IBU)
3oz Crystal for 3 minutes (0.035 utilization at 4%AA = 6 IBU)
2oz Hop Union Falcon 7C dry hopped

The Falcon 7C is to get a final infusion of big aromatics but dry hopping to avoid extracting the grapefruit.

The hop schedule looks great, but I would maybe select a different dry hop if you're looking to really avoid the citrus character. It will give you that aroma which can punch up any fruity notes from the other hops, and contrary to popular belief, you definitely do get flavor from a dry hop addition. Crystal would be great, or you could go with something on the dank side of the spectrum like columbus or nugget.

My original thoughts used Magnum as the bittering addition (45 minutes) but I thought Brewers Gold would be more interesting. It also had Crystal for the dry hop, just like you suggested!

I was considering a few more flavors. You're right. The Falcon 7C is too much grapefruit.

Darker doesn't fit this style. It needs to be bright and lively. The color will be very pale.

I don't have any experience dry hopping Brewers Gold. What are your thoughts of dry hopping a mix of Crystal and Brewers Gold to bring out final flavors? I see Hopunion has new strains called Palisade and Mosaic. Might not be the right time to try it, but I'll put it in my rolodex.

Latest posts

Back