St. Patrick's Day is coming!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezman

Reaction score
So, with St. Patrick's day a mere 9 weeks away have you started your Irish brews yet? And if so, what are you brewing (stout, red, etc...)?

mezman said:
So, with St. Patrick's day a mere 9 weeks away have you started your Irish brews yet? And if so, what are you brewing (stout, red, etc...)?

I'd like to do something in character for the day, but I don't know what.

Love a dry stout but I can't make one good to save my a$$.

Maybe a hopped up Irish Red. I'm talking 40-50 IBUs. Anyone got a recipe?

I'm thinking of something like this:

Red Eye Rye

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 17.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

3.00 lb Munich Malt
6.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter
3.00 lb Rye Malt
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt
0.50 lb Special B Malt
0.13 lb Black Patent

0.75 oz Amarillo Gold (60 min)
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold (20 min)
1.00 oz Cascade (10 min)

WLP008

Thoughts?

(EDIT: Added recipe.)

I thought all you needed to do to make St.Paddy's day beer was put green #31 in it so you can have green barf?
I do have plans for an irish red for the big day.

Cheyco said:
I thought all you needed to do to make St.Paddy's day beer was put green #31 in it so you can have green barf?
I do have plans for an irish red for the big day.

Would drinking beer that's not ready yet count as green beer for St. Pats? ;)

Anyone have a good Irish red recipe? AG?

jsut finished brewing a Red tonight-it will be ready for the 17th. I also have a stout in bottles right now that would throw a beating on Godzilla's father-I am hoping that it is tame enough in time for the 17th.

Truble said:
jsut finished brewing a Red tonight-it will be ready for the 17th. I also have a stout in bottles right now that would throw a beating on Godzilla's father-I am hoping that it is tame enough in time for the 17th.

Post the recipe!

I just brewed an Irish Red myself. Just did it last night, and today it's going absolutely bonkers. You can see convection currents in the swirling yeast/beer/hop residue. It was the first time I'd used either a starter or yeast nutrients, as well as my first mini-mash. I went to sleep and it was just kind of frothy on top, and when I woke up to go to work this morn, there was evidence of a krausen that had come and gone. In addition to the churning, it's bubbling like there's no tomorrow. Thank god I used a blow-off tube. So, good start, I just hope it's good on Paddy's day. As a mostly Irish German American, it's my favorite holiday.

I bottled my Dry Stout today, but it's for my wife (in theory). Good thing I also brewed a Pale Ale today... and there's that porter coming up. Bourbon is decended from Ireland... well, Scotland, but close enough for me!

Latest posts

Back