Success on 1st brew so far!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBRunner

Reaction score
My first brew is an American wheat kit by Muntons....

SG of 1.043, I brewed it up and fermentd for a week...

Checked the beer today, reading is 1.008, which is right in line of what the recipe said...

Definately has the "green" taste to it....but it does taste like beer! :mug:

unfortunately, it has to stay in the fermenter bucket until Wed, when my better botles come in, so I can let it condition for another week or so before kegging......

yes, I am skipping bottling altogether, as my SWMBO has given the green light for keg equip., and also passed me the fridge in the garage for my brew......:mug:

woohooo!!!:ban: :ban:

Can't wait for my next batch.....I'm thinking a Pete's wicked Ale clone, and I promised my kids we would do rootbeer also!!!!

Cheers.....

Chad

Congrats! It sounds like you have a lot of brewing ahead of you! You won't regret that kegging system -- I held out for a couple years, then got one and wish I had it from day one. Best of luck on the next brew.

I did a Pete's Wicked clone from austinhomebrew (AHS) and it was a good one! You can do it as an extract or mini mash with their kits. Their mini mash kits are pretty easy, with good instructions, so that's the one I did and can recommend.

Now, I've never kegged root beer, but we bottled it. Just an FYI that I've heard- once you do the root beer, you'll never get the smell/taste out of your lines. That's fine if you plan on keeping a dedicated root beer tap but others have mentioned it and I thought I'd pass it along.

I've made home made ginger ale, too, and it was great!

Welcome to the obsession of homebrewing!

Congrats on the keg setup!

Don't worry about letting your beer sit. I don't even think about tapping my kegs until the beer's at least 6 weeks old, depending on style. More timein the fermenter, or keg = better taste for the most part.

Wow, I did not know that about root beer flavor staying in the lines....may just have to keep a dedicated tap for that........

I looked at the PWA kit at AHS, and I think that is what I am going with, the mini-mash doesn't look too hard to do.....

I will probably order that this week...

Thanks for everyone's help here on the board answering my questions....:mug:

Chad

Well, finally racked to secondary tonight......Now to let it set for about 2 weeks.....:ban:

took a little bit of practice to get used to the racking wand.....

But I love the Better Bottle....That is all I am going to use from now on...

Now I have to order my next beer kit.....:tank:

Back