Increasing ferm temps with aquarium heater question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
Ok, so I just got my hands on some ECY08 from love2brew, aka, my plans for brewing my first saison have just jumped to the front of the line, priority wise! I currently use an 18gal tote filled with water to cool my temps, and I figured I could use the same style tote to raise my ferm temps into the 80's, in conjunction with a submersible aquarium heater.

What size does everyone seem to go with?
Are the really cheap units I see reliable enough to see use for a few weeks or so at a time?

What models would you recommend, with a special eye towards economy:cross:

Thanks!

Edit-for clarity's sake, I am speaking of the submersible aquarium heaters, which would be submersed in the water surrounding my fermenting bucket in the plastic tote. I found an Aqueon 100w that is supposedly good to 30 gal, may go with this one. Anyone have any experience?

I have an Aqueon 150 w heater that I use for my saisons and Belgians. I have an 80 qt cooler and it is very easy to get the temps up, even in the winter when my basement is at about 59-60 degrees.. I am very happy with the Aqueon. Holds temp to within about + or - about 1/2 degree. The 100w would probably work but I went for the 150 because my basement gets pretty cold in the winter and i wanted to be able to reach the high 80's.

i use this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DHOB8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
(150W) it does work for me but max temp i setup with it was 78F, it didnt have problem reaching it fast, im sure it can do mid 80 easily i just never test it. I have 27gal tote, with 2 6.5gal i have 9-10gal of water around them. I use external temp controller (for heating and cooling) so i dont use heater settings (its crank up on max) so can not say how precise it is

Last edited by a moderator:
Just make sure you're setting the temp using a separate thermometer. The thermometers in aquarium heaters are off by as much as 7 or 8 degrees.

Excellent advice, all around. Thank you all very much! I think I'm gonna go with the 150w model....seems like it could reach the temps I need without breaking too much of a sweat.

Do you have to circulate the water in the vessel, or does it heat uniformly enough on its own?

If you wanted to heat faster and more evenly you could get 2 heaters and put them on both sides of the tote. Plug them into one temp controller.

I don't circulate and it seems to work just fine. I have a separate thermometer that I attach to the side of the bucket/carboy to monitor temp. Since the water covers about 3/4 the way up it keeps very stable temps.

I don't circulate. I think there is enough movement between the water molecules to distribute the heat evenly. Hot water rises to the top, so there will be continual movement. It may take a while, but eventually all the water will be withing a degree or so. Certainly enough for our purposes.

Back