any roofers or general contractors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
We had some strong winds last night and I lost a 3 foot by 1 foot section of shingles off my roof, I found it in my yard this morning. It was too dark to see anything else up there but my wife called later and said she thinks she saw some other loose shingles still up there. About how much should it cost to get these resecured? I do have some extra shingles in my garage but I don't have the ladder (or the skill) to do this job myself.

Todd, if you are going to hire someone, it will cost you alot relative to the work getting done. do you know anyone that does that work down there, or atleast a handy friend with a ladder? that would be your best option. from what it sounds like, you only lost one piece, but others may have been loosened.

I don't know where abouts in VA you are, but I assume temps are around the 40's. If this was in a spot where the sun hits it, you might be able to raise the tabs above the missing piece to insert and nail it in place. While you are there, check the other shingles for damage & looseness. Nailing a shingle in with one already above it is a bit of a PITA, but take your time and it shouldn't be too bad.

If this is below a dormer, skylight or similar item that has flashing, it might be best to expose the shingles to that point and refasten them as if new, but the more courses you go, the wider your work area, so more than 3 is probably too many. Chances are that the adhesive part of the shingles is junk, so use an adhesive caulk on the lines where the old stuff was.

I understand that you probably won't be doing this, but that should give you an idea of what to do if you have someone motivated to help out. Sounds like a good time to barter with some homebrew!!

Good luck, and just ask if you have anymore Q's...

Hippie

Todd, I have a telescoping ladder and have done roofing work in the past, but that was from the bottom up. I'd be willing to help or give you the name of the guy building our addition, he's resonably priced and really enjoys homebrew.

Latest posts

Back