Do you ever enjoy cheap beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though I haven't had one in over 12 years, being a 50+ year old Seattle native I just have to shout out...

Rainier Nation!!!!

Ahhh, Genny!

Genny.jpg

Skotrat has a clone that is a ringer for that
http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/recipes.cfm

Look for "Gennesse My Butt" in the American lager list

I need to make that again:D

I think Yuengling is pretty damn good, and I moved to Baltimore a few years back and was introduced to Natty Bo (national Bohemian). Natt's pretty bottom of the barrel, but there's nothing wrong with some crabs and cold Natty bo's on a hot summer day.

One of my three taps usually flows Yuengling Lager. It helps the homebrew last a little longer, especially when the friends and family come over. :mug:

I just slammed 2 cans of Miller Lite... out of a Sammy Smith's pint glass. It's about the only way they're worth drinking.

:tank:

I use to drink a lot of Busch , Genny Cream and PBR. . When I went to college in Wisconsin it was Lienenkugals, Old Style and Point. I wish I could get me some Lienenkugals here in NJ for old times sake. I tried their Summer whatever it is and thought it was pretty awful. Budget beer for me now is usually Yuengling, Rolling Rock, or Genny Cream. At least till my homebrewing starts to out pace my homebrew drinking. Oh yeah I have no use for Light Beer

I do and have no shame...its beer afterall!
Will take down Old Styles with the best of them and I vary my commercial tap at home from the good stuff to schwag.
Currently have a 1/2 of MLite rolling next to my newly installed second tap thats serving a Lemongrass Wheat homebrew.

:mug:

Yeah but at our prices, 6 Lucky are still $10. 6 good beer are $15.

I can brew 10 gallons for $30-$40. That is ~17 6 packs for $2-$3 / six pack.

The gap on our good vs cheap beers is even smaller on the island. I can get a decent microbrew 6 pack for $12-$13. However one of the reasons I get the cheap beers because they're in cans (no bottles on the river). Though Vancouver Island brewery just released their new Hefeweizen, which is great, and hopefully they'll also sell it in cans. My other option is to bottle a 6pack or two of my own hefeweizen in PET bottles (ugh) when I keg the batch.

When I lived in Germany in the early 90s, I could get a rack (20 half liter bottles) of this stuff for about 7 Deutschemarks (about 5 bucks in the day).

kiste.gif

Man would you have bier farts the next day, but Oettinger Pils blew away any BMC beer any day and still does.

Oettinger is still damn cheap. Last I was in the Getränkemarkt in Augsburg it only cost $0.36 a bottle. That's ridiculous.

Went to dinner last night and they were serving 16oz tall boy cans of PBR for $2. I had two and thought the tasted great. Really refreshing.

Other that at a ball game when I didn't realize they had Anchor Steam down the hallway, I haven't paid money for a BMC since college. Even then, I made it down to the local brewpub whenever the budget would allow.

That doesn't mean I don't accept with a smile when a BMC drinking friend offers me one. I don't enjoy them really, but I don't generally hate them either.

I'm spoiled in my area. Almost every bar has anchor steam, at least. and every corner store, too. FW Double Barrel Ale is highly available.

The worst thing i buy for home or friends is new castle. My roommate often buys PBR...that's about it for cheap brew that i drink.

I haven't had any in a while but JW Dundee's is usaully on sale for under 10 bucks for a 12 pack. It's not bad at all for cheaper beer.

When I lived in Germany in the early 90s, I could get a rack (20 half liter bottles) of this stuff for about 7 Deutschemarks (about 5 bucks in the day).

kiste.gif

Man would you have bier farts the next day, but Oettinger Pils blew away any BMC beer any day and still does.

I drank a lot of oettinger in 2006 in Berlin - 3 bottles for 1 euro. They actually had a really wide variety, with a couple that weren't too bad...although I preferred:

305530338_c36907de1a.jpg

I had a 40 of High Life the other day, and my friends were like, "dude, WTF, you make better beer". Sure, but it was friggin' hot and nothing hits the spot on a hot day like some watery alcoholic corn.

I once traded a halfrack of icehouse, and a fifth of jack for a 35" color TV. Not being much of a TV watcher, to this day, I'm not sure who got the better deal.

I had no idea Stroh's was owned by PBR. I used to drink the sh#t out of it back when I was 20 and lived in southlake Tahoe making less than most NIKE factory workers. $8.99/30-pack's hard to beat

I will always have bud light in my fridge. I am an American are I not? I typically save homebrews for when friends or family are coming over. They are always so ga-ga over it is great to hear how much a great beer is appreciated.

I have no problem with mass-produced stuff. Why, just the other day it was quite warm, so I picked up a quart of Yuengling Premium - The Coal-Cracker 40 :D - and downed it with alarming speed. Of course, I bought a largish bottle of Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout at the same time, so karmic balance was maintained.

Though I admit to avoiding BudMillOors products, it's not because their product stinks. The Big Three employ brewmasters who rightly deserve their large salaries, because it ain't easy to brew consistent blandness. I avoid them because I prefer to buy products from (relatively) local breweries.

I regularly purchase:

Yuengling - in the summer, Premium and Lord Chesterfield Ale; winter, Porter. Black and Tan in the bottle is crap; try the original way - mix Porter and Lord Chesterfield! Invented in some forgotten bar in Philadelphia decades ago, the bottled version is Porter and Premium.

Genesee - Cream Ale rocks. I really, really miss 12 Horse Ale.

The Lion Brewery - I used to borrow 1/2bbl kegs from them before the brewpub for which I was brewing closed; they were only about six blocks away. I particularly enjoy Stegmaier Gold Medal and Steg 150 in the summertime.

If that makes me a sell-out, so be it! Sometimes I want cold yellow fizz. Sometimes I don't want my taste buds to work. [shrug] I knows what I likes!

Bob

PBR owns the following:

Lonestar
Olympia
Falstaff
Old Milwaukee
Colt 45
Rainier
Old Style
Special Export
Schlitz Malt Liquour
Schmidt
National
Stag
Stroh's
Country Club Malt Liquour
McSorley's
Schaefer
St Ides
Blatz
Pearl
Ballentine
Champale
Olympia
Carling Black Label
Piels and
Haffenreffer...:D
You can find me sipping on these on our porch occasionally in the summertime.

I've been known to drink some Budweisers during the summer while fishing/boating on the river. Sometimes they just hit the spot.

I am definately a fan of Miller lite when I am thirsty I miss lone star and PBR since moving to NC but I did find yuengling along the way.

When I was at Ft. Lewis (WA) for the summer of 04 the shoppette was selling shinerbock for $8 a case. My buddies and I thought they were clearing it out because it just didn't sell in the northwest but it was that way for 4 mo. We would clear out the store fully expecting not to see it again and they would suprise us! It was a good time. (Coors aspen was $5 a case.)

It was the first and last time I ever saw beer prices that cheap on base.

I used to really enjoy a micro-brew with food, but I've gotten to the point where I don't like food stepping on the flavor of my beer! It's the darndest thing but I like something simple to drink with food now. Bud is find, PBR, miller lite/high life. I can even enjoy mickey's by itself.

One of my internet buddies told me about something called Hurricane "High Gravity", and I saw it in the store for $2.39/4 16oz cans. It wasn't completely awful, I'd take some if I were going fishing or something.

I'm not real picky about cheap beer, but since I've started drinking home brew I've noticed I don't like Miller as much as I used to. I pick up on that cidery sweet taste that corn/dextrose gives to it too much.

Where I live Busch has gotten more expensive. I would have to go with Keystone for a cheap beer but still great on a hot summer day.

I enjoyed a cheaper beer every now and again.... until recently. My light cheapo lagers have been very few and very far between for the last couple years, so when I had one, it was kind of a nostalgic, livin the high life kind of a thing. Recently, I have been to two wedding where I was forced to drink Miller Lite (a vile drink IMHO) and the other day I was at a local festival with only High Life on tap. After spending several nights with these beers, I can firmly say I am on hiatus for a looooooong while from anything even resembling BMC. yuck
vomit-smiley-023.gif

Does this answer your question? I was making a trip to the recycling centre for all the empty bottles lying around...

Empties.JPG

Not bad for a week and a half... There are three bottle drinkers in my house, and the cans go to a different centre so not in this pic...

I drink cheap, mass-produced beer all the time. I'm young, just graduated college, and started my first real job. That translates to me being poor. Not to mention it gets really hot in south Louisiana and cheap beers taste so good when you're hot and sweaty. I save the good stuff for late at night when it's cool or when I'm eating a decent meal. I tend to drink better beers in the fall and winter. I usually buy coors light or high life (come on, it's the champagne of beers). It's also not uncommon to see me sitting by the pool with firends and a flat of 36 16 oz. Natty Lights.

I am really glad to see a thread like this, I remember in an older board i used to read, before i found this one, I was flamed a couple of times for expressing my like for some cheaper beers...

In my college fraternity all we drank was Natural Light (we got it for 8 a case since we bought it in multiple pallets at a time), so that beer defiantly does have a special place in my heart. And Miller Lite is my goto "go out to a bar and get hammered" beer.

Every beer has their place, and to be honest, if i am going out for a long night of drinking with my friends, i don't want to have to keep buying 5 dollar beers that'll probably get me way to hammered way to quickly.

Any anyway, how can you go wrong that is Brewed with all natural ingredients for a naturally smooth taste?

Just for the cheap-beer record: two large, good, cheap beers. I call it "Tiger beer" but I think it's some Thailand lager. Something like $2.39 for a big bottle of it. Cheaper still is Crazy Stallion high gravity. It's brewed in LaCrosse, WI, by the folks who bring you Pig's Eye. For a < $2.00 malt liquor, it's pretty tolerable.

I usually know a microbrew will be good. But the real diamonds in the rough are finding a decent "crap beer."

Back