Honey Wheat Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul_beer

Reaction score
This is my first crack at a wheat beer...

Batch Size: 6 Gallons / Partial Mash

2.2 lbs Wheat DME
4.0 lbs Pale Malt
2.2 lbs Flaked Wheat
0.5 lbs Honey Malt

1.0 oz Hallertau 60 min
0.5 oz Hallertau 10 min

Wyeast 1056 yeast

I don't really want the clove or bannana flavours so I thought I should go with W1056, I have seen it in a few wheat recipes. What I am looking for is the sour taste of the fermented wheat balanced by some sweetness from the honey malt. Am I on the right track with this?

Cheers,
Paul

Not too familiar with using honey malt; will 0.5lbs give you the balance your looking for? Don't forget to figure the hops into your desired profile.

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out. It's a recipe combination I've never tried before. Reminds me of honey nut cheerios...:rockin:

BREW ON:mug:

brackbrew said:
Not too familiar with using honey malt; will 0.5lbs give you the balance your looking for?

I have never used honey malt either, so I don't really know how much to use. I don't want the beer to be too sweet. I had a honey wheat lager a while back and that is what inspired me.

Is the rest of the grain bill suitable? I wanted to use the 4.5 lb of pale malt to use up some crushed grains I had laying around and to get some more practice with mashing.

Thanks!

Check out my sig for a honey wheat recipe. Yours looks good but watch it with the honey malt. I'd sub a pound or 2 of honey for some of the DME you have, and anywhere between a quarter and half pound of honey malt. AG I'd use 1/4 pound, extract go with a half pound, no more.

Looks good.

Your recipe is actually what inspired me. I will cut back on the honey malt a little like you suggest and add substitute some dme with honey.

I went with flaked wheat because that is what was available, will it work in the same way as long as I have enough 2 row? Thank you for the quick advice!

Cheers,
Paul

Back