Finished Fat Tire Clone and OG kinda high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
I followed the directions pretty close with the exception of the hop adding and i think it has a a little more hoppiness than called for, but i just checked my gravity and pitched my yeast and my OG is pretty close to 1.060--- and the recipe is calling for 1.050... Any idea what caused that? Could the additional hops change the gravity..The recipe does say approximately 1.050 so maybe i am just being paranoid... I was also curious on average what gravity beer's normally necessitate a blow off tube when using a 6.gallon bucket...

One possibility is the change in boil volume. Did you top off to 5 gallons in the fermenter? The hops would have no measurable affect on the gravity...

Yes i did top off to five gallons in the fermenter... But i thought that is what i have been doing on past two batches.. Do others boil the entire 5 gallons?

some people do boil the entire 5 gallons... did you take your hydrometer reading before or after you topped off? If you took it before, that would explain a higher than expected OG...

no i took it after adding the additional five... The beer would not be ruined because of this would it ?

It's possible you didn't mix the wort and top off water together enough. I have had high OG's that resulting from bad samples wort that wasn't diluted evenly.

We'll i used one of those Austin Home Brew Extract kits... which contained 3 oz Discuit Malt, 1/2 .lb crystal 90L , 1/4lb VIctory Malt, 6.oz Munich Malt, All of these grains were in a grain bag. steeped for 20 minutes. Then brought to a boil and added the 7lbs Extra Pale Extract ....Then the hops 3/4oz Northern Brewer hops for 60 min. 1/2oz Hersbrucker hops for last 15 minutes of boil. Then 1/4 oz Willamette hops for last 5 minutes.

I'd say go with it. It may be a bit heavier than you wanted but, it is a clone. It's not drastically off, if anything Alchohol content may be a bit higher.

Back