Temperature question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotiedog

Reaction score
Hi, my first post, so go easy on me ;-)

Making my first batch of Cider from a mixture of apples off my allotment.

My question is, is there a ideal temperature for your cider to ferment at.

I am planning to store it in a garage, which at this time of year (UK) might be quite cold.

Will this matter, or would I be better finding somewhere warmer to store it?

Sorry if this is a numpty question ;-)

Cheers.

The HBS gave us a packet of yeast, sorry don't know what type or brand it was, but the packet did mention for making beer.cider on it.

I guess it would be better kept in a warmer spot then?

id say mid 70s would probably be ideal, but it really depends on the type of yeast being used. each type of yeast has its own prefferences
im pretty new yet to brewing, so lets wait and see what the experts say

Unless your garage has a heater you will need to keep it indoors, I have just had the same problem, in the uk, in a garage, no fermentation. as soon as i placed it in the warm the bubbles started. My temp indoors is around 18 degrees C but i am fermenting useing only the wild yeast in the apples (100% organic) how scrumpy should be made!!?. Hope this helps

Thanks, that what I thought, looks like I need to find somewhere for it indoors ;-)

Cheers

I had this problem- garage was too cold, and fermentation wouldn't start. Now my batches are sitting in a bathroom closet with a space heater on low, and bubbling along nicely (I'm going with a bathroom instead of any other room for the non-carpeted floor in case of disaster.)

Thanks again, i have now moved the juice into our house and will see if that kicks things off.

Thanks for all the advice.

Back