Looking for a sprinkler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Seems to me that instead of slowing pouring your hot water onto the your mash (spargeing) with a . . .whatever you use - there would be something like a hand held garden sprinkler with many holes in it to use.

This would even out the water from a slow gush to a soft even sprinkle

Am I nuts? Does this make sense?? Is there somethign out there?

my only concern with a garden sprinkler type deal is it going to leach lead and or chemicals . Since they don"t have to be food grade you could have anything in there

Phils Sparge Arm or Biermunchers bucket full-o-holes device.

I have done the spoarge arm thing and find it to be a waste of time. I just let the hose dump onto a perforated pie tin and call it good.

Sometimes too much stuff is just that.

Phils Sparge Arm or Biermunchers bucket full-o-holes device.

I have done the spoarge arm thing and find it to be a waste of time. I just let the hose dump onto a perforated pie tin and call it good.

Sometimes too much stuff is just that.

+1 I used a SS bowl and let the water flow up and over the rim worked fine.kept a nice 2 inch layer on top of the grains . I batch sparge now

gettohightech1.jpg

Will that plastic take the heat? Sprinklers might bake in the sun some, but usually don't get 165F water. Besides the risk of deforming it at heat, I would wonder about it leaching stray chemicals at that temperature. I'm pretty sure it is not food grade for any organism higher than worms.

I vote for copper.

The Pol uses a flexible coolant line in his rig. It's adjustable, and you can recirculate with it or sparge just below the water line. I might get one myself.

You could build a copper monstrosity like mine. :D I think I saw in BYO they made a sparge manifold using a shower head, that seemed to work fairly well.

That's damn impressive bradsul. :eek:

I vote batch sparge at first. You don't need any "special" equipment or own a copper mine like brad to do it.

:D

I think you meant to say 'excessive'. :D Therein lies one of the problems of having a brother who's a plumber. I get all the free materials I want.

3 brother-in-laws are plumbers. My copper immersion chiller cost me about $6 for the hoses.

You can always go with a 12" shower head. Would be perfect for the round water coolers.

bostonian-12.jpg

But they are damn pricey.

/tg

Latest posts

Back