Naming Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadshomebrewing

Reaction score
I think I've decided to name my beers (when i get good enough to actually name them) after whatever i'm listening to on the ipod when i make them.

Like, for the Zeppelin fans

Black Dog Stout, Misty Mountain Dry Hopped Ale, Kashmir Krolsch, or Achilles Last Stand IPA.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Naming has to be organic. I do use music as an inspiration for my beer names sometimes, like Ruffle Duffle (from Snoop Dog's Lodi Dodi), All Mixed Up (from 311), and so forth, but don't limit yourself to just that. I made a pale ale/IIPA double batch once and called the smaller beer Danny Devito and the bigger one Arnold Schwarzenegger, but I did change the IIPA to Chuck Norris because Arnold didn't do it justice. ;-)

I forgot Maharajah's Defside which was a tweaked Avery Maharajah recipe with completely different hops, so I named it after a line in a Sir Mix Alot song, "My posse's on Broadway".

Also, I recommend NOT naming it unless you came up with the recipe or at least made your own signature changes to someone else's recipe. If it's someone else's recipe, call it by the name they gave it :)

I've named beers as a referrence to their color,like Sunset Gold APA. Or where I live,like BuckIPA for "the buckeye state". Or a colorful descriptor like Moonwind dark ale.

I use a couple of factors....for my stout I looked at it and it was as black as an obsidian....hence obsidian stout. For my German altbier, I used the season and call it the rustic leaf. For my apa I used what I was doing when I thought of the recipe, riverfront pale ale. My summer wheat I call toes in the sand summer wheat. And my iipa I call his royal imperial hopness!!

A lot of my beers are named after insects( I'm a bio major with a concentration in entomology). Capiindae mild( really Reapers Mild with some tweaks), Pteronarcys Californica Brown, and Hellgramite CDA( NB Jakes CDA). I have not come up with any good names for lighter beers. I probably will look towards dragonflys and damselflys for those.

But that system does not limit me. Higgs Special I was writing when it the Higgs was discovered and the other Higgs special from this site was somewhat close in design.

I like to put in the name any extra ingredients. Then I usually just troll the Internet looking for cool pictures and name it after those. For example, for my dubbel I was looking for pictures of monks, and I came across a really cool hooded statue photo, so I called it stone monk dubbel.

A lot of my beers are named after insects( I'm a bio major with a concentration in entomology). Capiindae mild( really Reapers Mild with some tweaks), Pteronarcys Californica Brown, and Hellgramite CDA( NB Jakes CDA). I have not come up with any good names for lighter beers. I probably will look towards dragonflys and damselflys for those.

But that system does not limit me. Higgs Special I was writing when it the Higgs was discovered and the other Higgs special from this site was somewhat close in design.

This is just so full of awesome. I'm not going to try the Corydalinae Pale though...I had one land on me once while hiking, and have had bad dreams ever since! :mug:

Back