Confusion about batch sparging process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarsnik

Reaction score
I've been batch sparging for a few years but have recently been trying to improve my efficiency and reread a number of articles about the process. My procedure normally is:

1. Mash until converted
2. Completely drain mash
3. Add first batch of sparge water to the dry grain bed.
4. Stir, let settle, drain completely
5. Add second batch to the dry grain bed.
6. Stir, let settle, drain completely.

However, I the procedure that is often described in articles is this:

1. Mash until converted
2. Add sparge water to get to 1/2 of total run off.
3. Stir, let settle, drain completely
4. Add the other 1/2 of the sparge water.
5. Stir, let settle, drain completely

Have I been batch sparging incorrectly? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to adding some of the sparge water before running off the mash?

If you are trying to boost your efficiency, then give the mash out a try. Basically, you are just adding some hot water to the mash after conversion to thin the mash out and raise temp. That can help wash some more sugar from the grains. Then, you can drain and sparge as usual.

You certainly aren't doing it "wrong", but some brewers find they can get a little higher efficiency if they loosen up the first runnings.

I was under the (perhaps false) impression that a mash out was redundant since the first batch sparge would raise the bed to mash out temps.

It's pretty simple to mash with the correct amount of liquor so that your first full run off will already be half of the total preboil volume. Then all you have to do is add the other half as sparge and run that off one time. The only reason to mash thicker and break the sparge into two infusions is if your tun is too small to do the first thing I suggested. Double sparging only mildly boosts efficiency, but most people don't feel that it's worth all the discrete steps involved.

"I was under the (perhaps false) impression that a mash out was redundant since the first batch sparge would raise the bed to mash out temps."

Well, give it a try and see how it works for you. Heating and loosening the mash prior to drawing the first runnings is not the same as heating and loosening the second/third runnings. There definitely is a balancing act between getting the most sugar out of the first runnings and having enough water left to sparge well. Many people find that about a 50/50 mix is the right balance, but every system is different.

Latest posts

Back