First Time Brewer, a couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigemags05

Reaction score
I've read through a lot of these threads and they have helped me out quite a bit.

I do have a few questions, though. I am brewing a malt extract called Autumn Ale from Midwest brewing supplies.

1.) How do I use the airlock? The instructions tell me to "fill it half way." What does that mean?

2.) I live in Texas. Its really hot here. When I am not home during the day, my house stays about 82 degrees. The instructions with my kit tell me that my ale needs to ferment at 60-80 degrees, with 60 being optimal. Is there any way to keep it cooler without paying a huge electric bill next month? I have a huge bucket. Could I fill that bucket with water and set the fermenter in there? Seems like the water would keep it a little cooler. Is my beer going to be messed up because of the temp?

3.) I am not real clear on how to read the Hydrometer or when I should use it. I don't have a thief with my kit.

4.) I also don't know what the gravity reading should be for the beer that I am brewing. Its Midwest's Autumn Ale.

5.) Also, not real clear on how to know if my fermentation is done. Do I pull the lid off and get a hydrometer reading on a daily basis?

6.) How do I know when its okay to move into a secondary fermenter?

7.) at what temp should the bottles be stored?

Sorry for so many questions. I just don't want to screw my first batch up if at all possible. Most of it seems pretty simple, but these are a few gray areas for me.

Thank you.

1.) How do I use the airlock? The instructions tell me to "fill it half way." What does that mean?

With sanitizer (like a solution of starsan) or you could use vodka. The idea is that if the liquid in the airlock accidentally drops into the beer, it won't contaminate it.

2.) I live in Texas. Its really hot here. When I am not home during the day, my house stays about 82 degrees. The instructions with my kit tell me that my ale needs to ferment at 60-80 degrees, with 60 being optimal. Is there any way to keep it cooler without paying a huge electric bill next month? I have a huge bucket. Could I fill that bucket with water and set the fermenter in there? Seems like the water would keep it a little cooler. Is my beer going to be messed up because of the temp?

The best solution would be to buy a chest freezer and temperature control. On the cheap however you can easily make a swamp/evaporative cooler.

This is actually the most important question you've asked here and you should do something about it immediately. You're beer may not ferment at all at 82, or if it does, it may produce horrible off flavors.

3.) I am not real clear on how to read the Hydrometer or when I should use it. I don't have a thief with my kit.

Now c'mon, gotta start using the search engine. Here ya' go.

5.) Also, not real clear on how to know if my fermentation is done. Do I pull the lid off and get a hydrometer reading on a daily basis?

I'd leave your fermenter alone for 3-4 weeks. For a first time brewer this is hard; but you would be best just forgetting about it. Go do something else. If you want to, after 4 weeks you can test your gravity to make sure it is finished, but if it isn't done by then, something has gone wrong.

6.) How do I know when its okay to move into a secondary fermenter?

I wouldn't bother. Just increases your chance of infection.

7.) at what temp should the bottles be stored?

I would do cellar temperatures. I had a friend store his bottled beers at warm temperatures (80F+) and they seemed to go foul after a while. On the other hand, so much beer you buy at a store at some point probably sat out on a pallet in the sun at 100F.

Thanks for the info CMoon.

I read that thread on how to use the hydrometer but I'm still not quite sure.

I've got the beer in the fermenter and its at 70 degrees. I made a swamp cooler.

I did make a mistake, I think. After pouring in the malt extract I think I put it back on the burner too quickly. There were black flakes (almost bark like) that would come to the surface every now and then. I tried to scoop them out.

Is my beer going to be affected by that? I guess I scorched the malt.

That's why you keep it off the heat while you make sure all the LME is stirred up off the bottom & mixed in thoroughly. That's what I do. It may have some caramel-like flavors,as long as you didn't scorch it too much. May also be a bit darker color.

Yeah, I just didn't give it enough time to mix thoroughly. I wasn't in a hurry so I don't know why I rushed.

I guess I'll see in a few weeks if I messed it up.

Heh, maybe you'll have some extra caramelization and your beer will be extra yummy.

I don't know what to tell you as far as reading the hydrometer. Just spin it to dislodge any air bubles, then read where it sits in the beer. Unless you made something crazy, it will read something between 1.040 and 1.080.

Practice it with water. Should read 1.000.

Sounds like most of your questions are already figured out - but I'll chime in a little...

To clarify the hydrometer use; assuming you have a hydrometer test jar, simply use a sanitized turkey baster or similar device to take beer from your fermenter and transfer it to your test jar. Fill your test jar about 2" shy of the very top, then place your hydrometer into the beer in the test jar. Most people spin it at this point to help keep it straight upright. At this point, you take a reading by seeing what value is visible just above the surface of the beer on your hydrometer.

As for when to check it, wait 2-3 weeks from brew day and start testing. What you're looking for is a consistent reading across 3 days. Test it one day, then test it 2 days later, and if the value is unchanged you're ready to bottle. You can also choose to transfer it to secondary at this point if you like. A lot of people around here don't use secondaries, hile many of us do. I've had good beers with and without secondary. If you're going to age beer on wood, or introduce fruit, or even dry hop a beer, a secondary is pretty much a must. Also, if you want to free up your primary for another beer, ditto. If not, it's really up to you - but its best to wait for the same readings you'd look for when you're ready to bottle. This tells you that fermentation is complete, and it's safe to move the beer to a clarifying container (your secondary) at that point.

If it's like the glass ones cooper's gave/sold me,it'll be color coded too. The green line is water @ 60F,or 1.000. Below that are long lines marked 10,20,30,40,etc. The smaller lines in between the #'d ones run 2,4,6,8. You read @ the meniscus,or the level area below where the liquid curves up to touch the hydrometer.

Back