Help me stop drinking Bud Light!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOB

Reaction score
I'm still young, 22 years old, and I originally had trouble aquiring a taste for beer. Growing up in a rural town and not having a huge selection, the first beer I aquired a taste for was Bud Light.

I have drank this since I was 18 and am now tired of it. I have my first 2 home brews fermenting and since I started this new hobby (which I absolutely LOVE) I have been trying new beers. The problem:

I still have a huge taste for BUD LIGHT!

First off, it's cheap. Yes, I have a great job (Electrical Engineer) and could afford better beer, but I am currently drinking, like, 2 cases a week and with a good beer that would add up a lot more than what I'm currently spending for my love.

Second, I'm having trouble finding other beers I really enjoy! Most of the "different" brews don't taste good. I enjoy some Sam Adams stuff and Blue Moon, but most micro brews I have to choke down.

I'm hoping my first home brews are going to help me over this Bud light hurdle. I also hope you nice guys, and gals, can give me some pointers...I am TIRED of being a

BUD LIGHT B!TCH!!!:mad:

Nothing wrong with liking cheap beer as long as you also appreciate good beer. I like an ice cold MGD when I'm slumming :)

I prefer microbrew and homebrew, but I'll still drink macroswill. And remember, the best type of beer is FREE.

the_bird said:
If you drank good beer, you wouldn't need two cases ;)

Why? I enjoy drinking beer...just because it taste better I will drink less?

Please explain...

Brewing your own is even cheaper than Bud... PLUS, you get to engineer your own brew to suit your own taste. This is a great hobby, your tastes will change and your skills will grow to suit them.

Brewpilot

You have come to the right place! In fact, sad to day, I used to drink MGD quite often when I was in my 20's and very early 30's. Fortunately, I found Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and got a subscription to Beer Across America as a gift in the early 1990s!

My suggestion - try everything. As you said, being an EE, you have some disposable income. So, if you are near a large metropolitan area, take some of that income, bring along a designated driver if you need to, and try to find a bar with a huge selection of beers. Try a little of everything on the beer menu! If the barkeep seems knowledgeable, don't be embarrased to tell him exactly what you have told us here. Hopefully, he can help steer you towards your goal.

It may well turn out that you like something completely opposite of light pilseners, mild ales or American ambers. Maybe an India Pale Ale? A fruit beer? A stout or Porter such as Guinness or Rogue Mocha Porter?

Lastly, IMO, a lot of people's beer tastes develop as they gain experience. My girlfriend was strictly a white wine and Bud girl when we first met in August of 2005. She now won't touch a Bud and, while she still likes a nice glass of wine, it is far and away a once in awhile thing. These days, her eyes literally light up at the sight of an India Pale Ale on a beer menu! Don't be surprised if your tastes change a lot between now and this time in the next year or two.

do you have any beer and wine stores that sell individual bottles? That way you could buy 1 bottle of a bunch of different beers and try to find one you like. What about other light beers like a Sam Adams Light and Heineken Light? Or try a German or Czech Pilsners instead of the American Pilsners.

Homebrews and microbrews tend to have a lot more flavor and a lot more alcohol, so whatever your purpose in drinking...

Try some different micros, keep experimenting - you might find something that you like that'll take you "beyond" Bud Light. Nothing wrong with BMC, I'm not going to knock it - but this hobby/habit of ours is all about experimentation.

Brewpilot said:
... your tastes will change and your skills will grow to suit them.

Brewpilot

That's what I'm "hopping" for...get it? HOPs? Ya, I'm dumb.

Rhoobarb said:
It may well turn out that you like something completely opposite of light pilseners, mild ales or . Maybe an India Pale Ale? A fruit beer? A stout or Porter such as Guinness or Rogue Mocha Porter.
Rhoobarb

Good point, I have no idea what a lot of the beers out there taste like, I just hope I can aquire a taste for them like I did Bud Light.

todd_k said:
do you have any beer and wine stores that sell individual bottles? That way you could buy 1 bottle of a bunch of different beers and try to find one you like. What about other light beers like a Sam Adams Light and Heineken Light? Or try a German or Czech Pilsners instead of the American Pilsners.
todd_k

I REALLY like Sam Adams Light. That was one of the first NON Bud/Bud Light kinda beers I tried and I fell in love! After that I haven't found one I liked as much.

BTW, what does BMC stand for?

I too was a die hard bud light fan as a younger guy. I remember my parents let me pick out the keg for my highschool graduation party. This was way out of charector for them since they didnt condone underage drinking.. but anyway, i picked bud light. loved the stuff. kinda forced myself to start buying bud (full flavor?) in my bar going days as not to seem like a lightweight wussie. Seems kinda silly in retrospect, but thats what happened. went on pretty long beer dryspell while i ventured off into other areas. low andd behold when all the smoke cleared i was back to drinking bud. tried a but light a few times and didnt like it. didnt take long for the bud to start tasting a little seltzery to me and this was when i officially lost my training wheels. A whole new world of flavors, styles and strengths of beers became both pleasing and desireable. looking back i'd bet a good bottle of porter probably would have turned my stomach back when i ordered my ked of bud light. but than again, I puked alot back then

I use to drink bud because it was cheap... Then I use to drink Corona, then Heineken, and finally I quit drinking what i consider 'second-rate' beer and won't drink the beer unless I like it or if I feel like drinking. I've always liked first rate beers so I've never really had a problem with getting away from bud... If you have access to some Yeung-Ling their Ale and Dark Ale is very good. It's a perfect alternative.

SOB said:
BTW, what does BMC stand for?
Bud/Miller/Coors

Reading and learning a ton about beer helped broaden my horizons, in addition to trying everything I can get my hands on. Now when I taste a beer, I usually have some idea how it was made, perhaps a bit of history (in the case of IPA, especially), and I try to pick out the individual flavor components that make that particular beer unique.

Good luck, and happy brewing/tasting!

Some lyrics you might enjoy...
"When I was younger, and in my prime, I used to gangbang all the time. Now I'm older, and turning gray...I only gangbang once a day!"

BMC = Bud/Miller/Coors. Common term for any of the big three breweries.

There's no shame in liking those beers. I love a cold COLD Bud on a hot summer day during yardwork, its' gotten so it's refreshing like water. You could also try some of the other beers if available like Lienie, Killians etc. since you're already on the road with Sam Adams. Pyramid makes some really good beers. Or if you're like my SWMBO who detests dark beer, try like todd_k said some of the imported Pilsners, or American Hefeweizens, which much to my surprise my SWMBO likes...

The key is to try as much as possible and start narrowing it down from there, but don't give up in the experimentation.

Ize

LOL fast fingered Yuri, checkin' in from Korea on the BMC. :D

BMC beer is good for tailgating - it can be shotgunned. It's hard to shotgun homebrew (being in bottles and all).

...I guess you could funnel homebrew - but that would be such a waste...

BrettMan said:
BMC beer is good for tailgating - it can be shotgunned. It's hard to shotgun homebrew (being in bottles and all).

...I guess you could funnel homebrew - but that would be such a waste...

OMG, the first thing I thought of was Beer Bonging Beer Pastors Imperial India Pale Ale. Yummy.

I'll admit, I still buy BMC, but only for when I go golfing, the bottles are just too heavy to put 6 or so in my bag...
usually PBR or Coors light.

Yuri_Rage said:
Bud/Miller/Coors

Reading and learning a ton about beer helped broaden my horizons, in addition to trying everything I can get my hands on. Now when I taste a beer, I usually have some idea how it was made, perhaps a bit of history (in the case of IPA, especially), and I try to pick out the individual flavor components that make that particular beer unique.

Good luck, and happy brewing/tasting!

Some lyrics you might enjoy...
"When I was younger, and in my prime, I used to gangbang all the time. Now I'm older, and turning gray...I only gangbang once a day!"

Ya know, as I brewed my first couple I made sure I tried it along the way. First, After I added the malt to the wort, then, after I added the hops, then before, and after I added the water/yeast, as I added it to the secondary. Since I stared brewing (3 weeks ago) I now have 3 other friends at work starting to brew and I suggested the same to them.

This is one thing that's helping is tasting a beer and actually knwing what I'm tasting.

Yuri, who sings that song???

ColoradoXJ13 said:
...usually PBR or Coors light.

That always makes me laugh, because my dad drinks PBR. Ever since he was 15! ALL HE DRINKS IS pbr, unless he has no choice! Since I was a kid I have always had a bad feeling in my mind about PBR for that fact! I have tried it once, and I thought I would never try it again.

Ya know, maybe next time I go home I will have aPBR with my dad, and them We'll share one of my home brews!!!

:mug:

Yuri_Rage said:
It's an old fighter pilot standard.

My uncle, who taught me that "slogan" was in Vietnam. I believe he was in the army, not sure, he doesn't like to talk about it!

Still cool thought!

the_bird said:
If you drank good beer, you wouldn't need two cases ;)

Bird's got it right...good beer has 8.0% ABV and above. Also the more homebrew/microbrews you drank, you will eventually find a couple you like. I was a Coors Light/Bud Light fan in my HS/early college days (because it was the cheapest) and now Coors is definitely Rocky Mountain Piss (can't stand it) and BL is for when ends are tight.

brewawan said:
Bird's got it right...good beer has 8.0% ABV and above.

I'm still a little confuse with this. I don't think "good beer" has this high ABV. I know ICE beer is this high, and you think BMC taste like piss, ice beer taste like piss that has been drank and eaten with asparagus then pissed again (that mean really bad). I mean, even I think this crap taste horrible.

I haven't seen a recipe for home brew that has this much ABV either.:confused:

I guess if you still have a taste for Bud Light, keep drinking it. Since I have started homebrewing, I personally can't touch BMC. I never realized how many complex flavors were in a good beer until I started drinking it.

Like everyone has been saying, find a style you like and then you can make your own, and in the process you will likely find that you like more than one. I personally haven't found a good beer that I haven't liked yet.

SOB said:
I'm still a little confuse with this. I don't think "good beer" has this high ABV. ...
No, but most homebrew or more flavorful micros have a higher ABV and a fuller mouthful than BMC or their light offerings. The difference b/w a 4.0% ABV BMC and a 5.5-6.0% ABV HB or micro is really noticable. And, IMHO, you end up drinking slower, enjoying the flavor more and, in the end, drinking less.:)

Think of the difference in these terms:

BMC - bolting down a Mickey D's burger on your lunch hour or wolfing down a BK Whopper Jr. after a night out with the guys. Both fill your need and can really hit the spot!
Homebrew or a good micro - savoring a thick, juicy burger you've grilled yourself on a nice, sunny Saturday afternoon in the backyard or a freshly ground steakburger with a butter-toasted bun on real china at a nice charhouse!

SOB said:
That always makes me laugh, because my dad drinks PBR. Ever since he was 15! ALL HE DRINKS IS pbr, unless he has no choice! Since I was a kid I have always had a bad feeling in my mind about PBR for that fact! I have tried it once, and I thought I would never try it again.

Ya know, maybe next time I go home I will have aPBR with my dad, and them We'll share one of my home brews!!!

:mug:

You know, I loved sailing down the ol' Patrol Boat River when I was in college...still do, actually. Something about PBR that's just so refreshing. Homebrew I appreciate more on an intellectual, gourmet level--but sometimes you just want something bland and cheap, you know?

Rhoobarb said:
No, but most homebrew or more flavorful micros have a higher ABV and a fuller mouthful than BMC or their light offerings. The difference b/w a 4.0% ABV BMC and a 5.5-6.0% ABV HB or micro is really noticable. And, IMHO, you end up drinking slower, enjoying the flavor more and, in the end, drinking less.:)

BMC - bolting down a Mickey D's burger on your lunch hour or wolfing down a BK Whopper Jr. after a night out with the guys. Both fill your need and can really hit the spot!
Homebrew or a good micro - savoring a thick, juicy burger you've grilled yourself on a nice, sunny Saturday afternoon in the backyard or a freshly ground steakburger with a butter-toasted bun on real china at a nice charhouse!

HAHAHA!:D

I just LOVe the analogy! I totally know what you mean. If I come home from work and drink BMC most the night I don't feel as good as if I drink Sam Adams Light all night. If I drink S.A.L. all night I wake up not feeling like I drank at all. It's something about hte BMC that makes me feel crappy and sluggish the next day.

Not sure what it is...

SOB said:
I'm still young, 22 years old, and I originally had trouble aquiring a taste for beer. Growing up in a rural town and not having a huge selection, the first beer I aquired a taste for was Bud Light.

I have drank this since I was 18 and am now tired of it. I have my first 2 home brews fermenting and since I started this new hobby (which I absolutely LOVE) I have been trying new beers. The problem:

I still have a huge taste for BUD LIGHT!

First off, it's cheap. Yes, I have a great job (Electrical Engineer) and could afford better beer, but I am currently drinking, like, 2 cases a week and with a good beer that would add up a lot more than what I'm currently spending for my love.

Second, I'm having trouble finding other beers I really enjoy! Most of the "different" brews don't taste good. I enjoy some Sam Adams stuff and Blue Moon, but most micro brews I have to choke down.

I'm hoping my first home brews are going to help me over this Bud light hurdle. I also hope you nice guys, and gals, can give me some pointers...I am TIRED of being a

BUD LIGHT B!TCH!!!:mad:
Well, I didn't even bother reading any of the replies you received...all I read was post #1 and all I can say is where do I show up to rip you a new A-hole? I'll wean your sorry a$$ from BL...;)

homebrewer_99 said:
Well, I didn't even bother reading any of the replies you received...all I read was post #1 and all I can say is where do I show up to rip you a new A-hole? I'll wean your sorry a$$ from BL...;)

Well..you have officially scared me! I will be walking around the office tomorrow with my cheeks clenched as tight as possible, hoping no one, ESPECIALLY YOU, can enter to "rip me a new A-hole."

Please help me in a way that won't scar me for life!:eek:

Genghis77 said:
It wasn't so long ago that Schlitz and Pabst were serious competitors with Bud. That was the 70's.

What are the 70's? I'm not aware of this time frame?! :p

SOB said:
Well..you have officially scared me! I will be walking around the office tomorrow with my cheeks clenched as tight as possible, hoping no one, ESPECIALLY YOU, can enter to "rip me a new A-hole."

Please help me in a way that won't scar me for life!:eek:
I think I'll hang back a little...this way you'll never know if I'm in your neighborhood...until then...Drink it if you brew it!!:D

bud light causes cancer

it makes you grow hair on your palms

you'll go blind if you keep drinking bud light

your mom was right you wont have any friends if you keep doing that

Rhoobarb said:

Yeah. Like drinking better, not more.

Wild

musicman said:
bud light causes cancer

it makes you grow hair on your palms

you'll go blind if you keep drinking bud light

your mom was right you wont have any friends if you keep doing that

It's kinda like the "You'll SHoot Your Eye Out" saying.

I'm not growing hair on my palms yet, but I am getting it in weird places...

Latest posts

Back