Mismatch ports on keg???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sily_rabit

Reaction score
I'm new to this, but something doesn't seem right. I got 2 reconditioned kegs. One seems fine and all part look like a standard firestone keg. The other one has Cornelius etched in the side and the out port has a standard Cornelius port on it. By this I mean, it is narrow, has a 11/16" 6 sided base and has a cornelius style poppet inside it. On the in side, the port looks like a firestone port. It has a very thin base that is star shaped for a 7/8" size socket. But inside is a Cornelius style poppet. It holds pressure, but the little plastic ring above the spring is completely falling apart. Getting it to lined up when reinstalling takes some effort. Should I just replace the poppet with a Firestone poppet or does the port and poppet need to be replaced? The keg threads match booth the in and the out ports.
Like I said, first time doing this, but looking at all the pics and reading all I could, it looks like I have 2 different style ports on this keg. Is that ok?

Hey Sily Rabit,
You're lucky. I bought 3 used kegs (all Cornelius), but they all had the Firestone style posts with Corny style poppets. They would seal most of the time, but every once in awhile I would get a leak.

You would think that a set of Firestone poppets would solve the problem, huh? No way. For some reason they are a little too long for use on the Corny keg, and will not allow the disconnects to fully seat. I ended up having to get Corny style posts for all 3 kegs!!

Just remember that the gas inlet and beer outlet posts are slightly different diameters, and may normally be told apart by the V grooves machined into the points of the wrench flats on the gas posts.

I agree, I tried to use one of the Firestone poppets and it didn't work out.

As an update, I emailed Midwest about the issues and they agreed that the setup was not proper and they are sending me the correct post and poppet to fix the problem. Its good to see a vendor stand behind their product.

Back