Recipe Thoughts? Easy-Drinking Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
i enjoy all beer, from ipas to BMC. Sometimes i prefer budwieser,coors,molson golden, etc. if i feel like drinking a lot of them in one night, like when watching a game with friends. So im going for an easy drinking, lawn mowing, in-law pleasing, wallet friendly, quaffable beer. similar but slightly better then bmc

10lbs Vienna
1lb Table Sugar
.75oz Amarillo at 60mins
.25oz Amarillo at 5mins

us05 Yeast

yeah, and its cheap and should make it slightly lighter so goes down easier

I have had nice results adding a pound or two of instant rice to the mash. I keeps your beer light in color and body, nice and dry, with a clean flavor. You might try that instead of the sugar IMO rice is cleaner.

I have had nice results adding a pound or two of instant rice to the mash. I keeps your beer light in color and body, nice and dry, with a clean flavor. You might try that instead of the sugar IMO rice is cleaner.

I've heard of people doing this. Would you cook the rice first, drain it and add it to the mash tun? Or do you just throw some of that dry Uncle Bens right into the mash as is?

Just toss the Uncle Bens right in the tun along with some rice hulls maybe. I just brewed today with 1lb 12oz of rice (and 11lbs of other malt) and had my first stuck sparge. I milled my grain more then ever before so that prolly had something to do with it. I mixed in 8oz or so of hulls and stirred, problem solved.

I really like the effect of rice, in beer. light color, dry, it lets the hops shine :)

I'm brewing a Cream Ale for the same goals. You might take a look at BierMuncher's Cream of 3 Crops ale recipe in the database, under light hybrid, to give you some ideas. Its a great thread.

Vienna is going to give you a maltier flavor, yes? Perhaps pale malt or pilsner would be lighter.

If you want to cut back on the sugar, you can add in flaked rice or minute rice, as suggested, or even flaked corn.

Good luck and cheers!

:mug:

What I like about straight up table sugar, it ferments completely out. The extent that the rice will ferment out will depend on how it was mashed. I've done a few cereal mashes with regular rice and they all shared a cloying sweetness. Thought it was something I needed to improve in my process but then I had a Bud. It had that exact same cloying sweetness. I don't have that problem with sugar.

Latest posts

Back