Kegging > Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDLJr

Reaction score
Why didn't anyone tell me?

I kegged my first brew tonight... Way easier than bottling. Even drank a good bit even though it wasn't fully carb'ed yet.

Yeah, going from filling ~48 bottles to filling 1 big bottle is a transcendent experience.

I think the only other thing so far that can compare to moving up to kegging is switching to StarSan or Better Bottles.

-Steve

Every batch I tell myself...."well....I bottle this one...."... but then when bottling day comes... I see the empty keg...., and my lazy arse goes the easy route. It'll never replace the simple joy of opening a bottle and hearing the "phitz".... but wow...so easy and quick.

I do still bottle. sometimes I bottle a case or half case, and keg the rest. just purge that headspace in the keg, no problems with oxidation.

or keg, carb, and use 'we don't need no stinking beergun' DIY instructions to fill some bottles for portability.

Bottle??? Hu??? What is that??? he he hehe.

I've never bottled and never will. So don't expect any beer in the mail.

homebrew on draft while sitting next to your hop plants....beautiful way to spend an evening.

I do still bottle. sometimes I bottle a case or half case, and keg the rest. just purge that headspace in the keg, no problems with oxidation.

Newbie question: Do you run into any problems doing this, besides using a little extra CO2? How do you know how much to purge with? (Just starting to put together keg system)

or keg, carb, and use 'we don't need no stinking beergun' DIY instructions to fill some bottles for portability.

Or, you could get a growler for portability. Just fill from the tap, cap, and go. I've found that it'll keep carbonation for several days if it isn't opened. Once opened, be prepared to finish within a few hours or it'll go flat.

Back