Question about building water from distilled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
I had no luck in the brewing science section, so i'll try here.

If I add nothing but gypsum and calcium chloride to distilled water, will the resulting water be inadequate to brew with?

For those of you who add salts to distilled water, do any of you add ONLY gypsum and Calcium Chloride?

Well, you'll be able to adjust Ca, Cl, and SO4 which means you can adjust the chloride to sulfate ratio. You still may need something to hit your desired residual alkalinity like chalk or baking soda. You'd also have no Mg but Epsom salt could be used for that.

You still may need something to hit your desired residual alkalinity like chalk or baking soda. You'd also have no Mg but Epsom salt could be used for that.

Thank you for the response. I actually want my residual alkalinity low (-60 to 0) to make a pale beer, so i was avoiding chalk. But is some Alkalinity necessary, or can I leave the chalk out?

Also, would it be desirable to add magnesium? Do the yeast need it in the wort?

Latest posts

Back