Possible Wyeast Crisis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
Hello all,

today I went to make my first yeast starter...
I smacked the Wyeast pack yesterday and after about 24 hours it swelled reasonably.
I made the wort, cooled it, and poured in the yeast. After pouring it in I realized one of the packets inside the Wyeast bag (it looked like some wort) had not broken. Should the yeast be OK or should I be heading the store for another pack?

thanks for all your help.

RJ

The yeast is in the big pouch and the inner pouch is the nutrient that shows you the yeast is alive. Crisis is a bit of an over-reaction here I believe. I thought the wyeast vaults got destroyed by a rhino that got out of the zoo when I saw the thread title.

I thought the wyeast vaults got destroyed by a rhino that got out of the zoo when I saw the thread title.

I thought something similar but it involved the Dykes on Bikes, a three story catapult, a 50 pound bag of paper clips, and Dr. Phil.

I thought something similar but it involved the Dykes on Bikes, a three story catapult, a 50 pound bag of paper clips, and Dr. Phil.

That would be freaking epic! You should make that into a screen-play.:rockin:

I thought the same thing... with the hop shortage and now glass carboys going up in price I thought this was just another nail in the homebrew coffin.. glad to hear it was just a fouled smack pack.. not to belittle your problem or anything :)

it should be fine, it will prob. just take longer to start fermenting.

When does the starter usually begin to foam? It seems like the deposit on the bottom is getting bigger but no foam yet.

Sometimes I don't get any krausen (at least noticeable) on my starters. You're trying to "wake up" and grow yeast, so if the deposit on the bottom is growning, that sounds like it is going fine. Give it a swirl or shake to resuspend the yeast, to make sure the yeast is in contact with the wort.

Back