Dry Mead Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Boy, they aren't lying. Dry like my 97 year old grannie's cooter. It takes a few sips to get used to the dryness.

I don't suppose there's anything I can do now to balance it out, is there? I like the flavor of the mead, but not the aftertaste (drrrrrrry). Does it jjust need to age more? I pitched the yeast on 4/28.

As long as you don't want bubbles you can campden/sorbate it and then give it a honey/water mixture to backsweeten. You might be suprised how well this works. Like anything else, I would take a sample and add a little bit of honey (dissolved) to your glass until you get to the sweetness level you like. Another option (somewhat off the wall) is to add a can of your favorite juice concentrate to the 5 gallon batch. I did this with a severly dry Clover Mead (1 can strawberry-kiwi) and it now looks like a blush wine (but tastes even better!). Other non fermentable sweetening options include lactose (not for me in a mead) or splenda or stevia (give the stevia a try, a little goes a long way). Of course, the last option is wine conditioner or glycerine. Just some thougths.

missing said:
As long as you don't want bubbles you can campden/sorbate it and then give it a honey/water mixture to backsweeten. You might be suprised how well this works. Like anything else, I would take a sample and add a little bit of honey (dissolved) to your glass until you get to the sweetness level you like. Another option (somewhat off the wall) is to add a can of your favorite juice concentrate to the 5 gallon batch. I did this with a severly dry Clover Mead (1 can strawberry-kiwi) and it now looks like a blush wine (but tastes even better!). Other non fermentable sweetening options include lactose (not for me in a mead) or splenda or stevia (give the stevia a try, a little goes a long way). Of course, the last option is wine conditioner or glycerine. Just some thougths.

After a few sips, I got used to it and enjoyed it. A little too much.

:drunk:

We need a hangover smilie.

Back