Question about fermenting smell....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
Got a stout brewing that started fermenting right away friday night, its still bubbling the airlock about 1 per second.

It smells kind of like bananas to me and I dont remember having one smell like that. Im guessing its normal and Im not too worried about it, but just wanted to check with you guys.

Okay....probably should have searched before i posted this because I see this has happened before.

I used WL Edinburgh(sp?) yeast with a yeast starter, my house is at around 69* fermenter is showing its at like 72*.

Looks like this should fade as time goes on.....I havent tasted it yet. Waiting for fermentation to slow before I try it.

Tophe96 said:
Waiting for fermentation to slow before I try it.

Wait for a week. All you're doing by trying it early is opening the door to risk infection. It's not done yet - there's no way. Let it sit for a week before you even think about opening the fermentor. You'll be glad you did.

:mug:

Back