Hopping schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've seen a few of the dogfish head clones where they do the continuous hopping every 3 minutes of the mix of all hops that are going into the batch.
I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what the point of this is vs the traditional bittering early/aroma late kinda thing.
That is all =)
thanks

Hey guys.

I've seen a few of the dogfish head clones where they do the continuous hopping every 3 minutes of the mix of all hops that are going into the batch.
I was wondering if anyone could explain to me what the point of this is vs the traditional bittering early/aroma late kinda thing.
That is all =)
thanks

Well, the idea is that hops added at different times bring something different to the beer in flavor and aroma. I'm not sure it really does, at least not all that much, but I still love doing it when I make a DFH clone. :D

I suppose the idea is that you get this fully integrated bitter-flavor-aroma curve of hops into the beer. If you've had a beer with just a 60 min & 0 min addition compared to one with, say 60, 30 & 0 min additions, you notice a difference (assuming all other things equal).

That being said, I highly doubt most people would notice the difference between a beer hopped every 3 min and one hopped every 10 min. Or for that matter, one hopped every 15 min.

In short, some flavor changes, a lot of marketing power.

On a personal note, a variety of "continuously hopped" IPAs that I have entered into competitions scored quite high in the Aroma & Flavor categories. Most judges think I use a burst hopping technique, so I think it does have some tangible benefit, even if I can't explain the science behind it.

While on tour at DFH, the guy there told me that Sam saw a chef on TV that mentioned that adding season throughout the whole cooking process made a better meal. He wanted to try the same thing in beer...so I suppose you could consider that to be the birth of the idea. I don't know how much actual science was put into it :p The rest of what he said is exactly what Sam says about it in this video (except that OSHA visited and told them to get rid of the football game hanging over the kettle haha).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back