Recipe suggestions based on inventory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llamabox

Reaction score
Regular cooking web sites can do this but for some reason we don't have a brewing site that will.

As an excited and grateful recipient of the 2011 Pay it Forward thread I received a package of mixed specialty grains. Being a newer brewer I am unsure what types of recipes some of them are good for so I come to the HBT folks for some suggestions. Here is my inventory, minus base malts and extracts. Please give me some advise on what styles/recipes I am on my way to brewing.

FYI, kinda figured I would do a chocolate/coconut porter next.

10oz Briess Black Patent
12oz Breiss Special Roast
9oz Dingemans Belgian Biscuit malt
8oz Dingemans Belgian Special B 145L
7.5oz Dingemans Chocalate malt 325L
4oz Dingemans Belgian Aromatic malt
13oz Weyermann Smoked malt
16oz Weyermann CaraMunich 2
4oz Weyermann Dark Munich malt

12 lbs Clover Honey
3 lbs Light Brown sugar
3 lbs Flaked Coconut

Well just going by that list, I'd say most stouts and porters are fair game. Browns probably wouldn't be a hardship either, especially something like a Mild which has a lot of room to maneuver in the style guidelines.

I would think you could do most of the dark lagers as well, and also don't forget the Scottish ales, where a bit of the smoked malt could add some complexity. I don't think you have enough smoked malt to do a full-on Rauchbier, but you could definitely use it to add some smoke character to an IPA or Porter or whatever. I am not sure how I'd feel about adding coconut to a smoked beer, though.

Also 3 lbs of coconut is a LOT. Way more than you need for a 5 gallon batch. I think I typically use something like 10-12oz of coconut in my porter.

Yea the honey, brown sugar and coconut are just some stuff I was given at work and I figured why bake with it if I can Brew with it. I've done a few cysers and wines with leftovers from the restaurant business.

As for styles, I've done English Brown, All Cascade Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde Ale. As you can see 2 for me and one for SWMBO, whom has requested a Caramel Vanilla Cream. So I am getting my pipeline in ready order, I have a brew journal and I love to experiment so away we go.

I was wondering something like that. The Brown I am drinking now has 8oz Caramel 60
6oz Carapils
4oz Chocolate

I think it has a great rich maltyness to it, but some buddies think it needs more hops to even it out. Too bad hop heads, I like the rich maltyness and I agree those sound like they would go well with one.

Oh and FYI, I found a site called Hopville that is a large recipe database and it does allow you to search by ingredients.

Back