Hydrometer Temperature adjustments - Lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
I just read this in another thread:

"Hydrometers are calibrated for readings at 60o but the adjustment between 60o and room temperature is minimal. To make your readings (and your ABV calculations) consistent the main thing is to always measure at the same temperature. To adjust the specific gravity reading for temperature differences, add +0.001 if you're measuring at 70o instead of 60o. Adjust by +0.002 at 77o. Adjust by +0.003 at 84o. Adjust by -0.005 at 50o."

This is, of course, the temperature of the wort. The Oktoberfest "plus" that I brewed 10 days ago, the OG was 1.064; now it is down to 1.024. I took the OG before pitching the starter; wort was around 70 degrees; I have been keeping the temp down around 50 for the primary fermentation (using WPL820 Oktoberfest Lager yeast).

So, if you take into consideration the above, my OG corrected for temp is 1.065 (add .001) and my latest check is 1.019 (subtract .005)?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Edit: Just watched this, think it answered my question...
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=BobbyFromNJ#p/u/30/xtQt7HiObuU

Back