question on long fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerandHockey

Reaction score
I have a batch that I pitched 2nd gen yeast and had no fermentation in the three days so I pitched another small amount of the same yeast. the ferm started the next day, two weeks later it was still very cloudy, but seemed like it had stopped fermenting so I racked it. It tastes fricking terrible!! could this be because it was still fermenting, pitching twice or just a bad batch? any thoughts would be appreciated.

recipe and brewing details are priceless in these types of threads. There are 100 people that can help you out, but we need a little more detail...

recipe is:
8.5 lbs LME

grains steeped:
.5 lb belgian biscuit
.5 lb Dark munich
.25 Special B
.25 Special Roast
.5 lb flaked rye

hops:
2oz cluster @ boil
.5 cascade + .5 Liberty @ 30min
.5 cascade + .5 Libery @ 15min
.5 Liberty @ 10min
.5 Liberty @ 5min

Boiled for 60min
2nd Gen British Ale yeast pitched @ 70 degrees

okay, my thoughts are that you have a pretty big beer and that a two week fermentation (possibly slowed down by a previous cake and some new yeast) may not have cleared everything.

Is this a 5-gallon batch? Where are you at now? A secondary, or did you bottle already?

Assuming you haven't bottles already and it's a ~5 gallon batch; let it sit in the secondary for at least 2 more weeks. You'll call me crazy now, but call me savior when it tastes yummy! :D

The only other thing I can think of other than sanitation issues is what was your previous recipe that you pitched on top of? Also, when you say tastes "freakin terrible" - what exactly do you mean?

You'll get some good feedback on this site; and whatever you do - DO NOT dump your beer (cue Revvy's blog!)

It is a 5 gallon batch, I racked it to the secondary today after two weeks in the primary. It doesnt look like it has any infection(mold or scum) but it kind of tastes like rubber, it about made me sick. I will take your advice and let it sit for a while in the secondary. Ive read the "ruined beer" stickies and they all say the same, "dont give up on beer." I just keep thinking; Infection? Cant happen to me. Thanks for the responses I will let you know how it comes out.

Tested it again and it still tastes the same. Gravity 1.02. Its been four weeks since brewing so I just think its infected. I used a washed yeast which I think is where the infection came from. I pulled out a washed yeast from the fridge and it had a blue color in the cake and had the same smell of the beer. I went ahead and pitched a fresh yeast into the infected beer yesterday so we will see what happens. Ive already written this one off so I figured whats the harm of pitching again. Maybe it will heal itself i dont know. I will let you know what comes of this beer.

Doesn't sound like good healthy yeast. I would not have used it. I doubt you'll be able to save the batch now, but maybe someone has a suggestion?

what was your OG?

1.020 FG looks a little high from your recipe - but maybe not depending on the yeast...

I'd still let it sit a couple weeks since you repitched.

If you want to dump it - at least do us a favor and bottle half of it (well all of it if you have bottles and space)....

Oh Revvy? Revvy? Where are you to pimp your never dump a beer blog? It seems fitting in this case...

I do plan on going all the way with this one. Gonna use it as a learning experience and bottle it. Who knows it might be something in a couple of months. I figure that the research that I have put into this batch is well worth the loss of the beer itself. My plan now is to atleast try this beer once a month to see what kind of difference time makes to an infected batch. any suggestions for additions to the beer before bottling?

OG was 1.064

Back