Reusing Yeast, 2.5 gallon batch(es)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wherestheyeast

Reaction score
I will be brewing an American Pale soon (extract, 2.5gallon batch size) using Wyeast 1056. From what I've read on HBT, was told at LHBS and by
using Mr. Malty's calculator I should be fine using the entire smack pack - which is fine. However, I also realize I probably should've saved some $$$ buying some dried yeast. But, I've already bought it so I'm trying to figure out the best/easiest way to get the most bang. But I have questions:

* Is the 3 week in primary recommendation appropriate with this smaller batch/entire yeast pack combo? I have come across info regarding pulling beer off the yeast cake sooner.

* I would like to reuse the yeast and am considering racking my next batch right on top of the existing yeast cake (it will be another 2.5 gallon batch). Are there any special considerations I need to take since its a 2.5 gallon batch?

* What type(s) of follow-up beer would you suggest? I think I've read that going to a darker style is best, but what would work best?

* How many batches can you do on one yeast cake?

* This seems to be the easiest way to reuse, are any of the other methods better/easier?

Thanks!

I will be brewing an American Pale soon (extract, 2.5gallon batch size) using Wyeast 1056. From what I've read on HBT, was told at LHBS and by
using Mr. Malty's calculator I should be fine using the entire smack pack - which is fine. However, I also realize I probably should've saved some $$$ buying some dried yeast. But, I've already bought it so I'm trying to figure out the best/easiest way to get the most bang. But I have questions:

* Is the 3 week in primary recommendation appropriate with this smaller batch/entire yeast pack combo? I have come across info regarding pulling beer off the yeast cake sooner.

* I would like to reuse the yeast and am considering racking my next batch right on top of the existing yeast cake (it will be another 2.5 gallon batch). Are there any special considerations I need to take since its a 2.5 gallon batch?

* What type(s) of follow-up beer would you suggest? I think I've read that going to a darker style is best, but what would work best?

* How many batches can you do on one yeast cake?

* This seems to be the easiest way to reuse, are any of the other methods better/easier?

Thanks!

You can leave the beer in the fermenter for three weeks, no problem.

I would NOT pitch the whole yeast cake in another batch, though! That'd be way to much yeast. Mrmalty.com has a "yeast pitching calculator" and one of the choices is "repitching slurry" to tell you an ideal amount to use. I use that all the time.

If you absolutely want to use the entire yeast cake, you'd want to at least go from a "small" beer to a bigger beer. I have done that in the past, using the first beer as a starter to a very high OG beer for the next one.

What I'd probably do is even easier, though. In fact I just did this yesterday, and I have 6 jars of nice clean perfect yeast. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

Thanks Yooper! Nice avatar b/t/w! Love me some Red Wings (and playoff time!)

Can you point me in the direction of finding a bigger beer recipe that uses this yeast? It seems that reusing the yeast cake isn't the best/easiest choice unless doing a big(ger) beer.

I haven't made my way into the yeast washing thread as I've been a bit intimidated, but it looks fairly straightforward.

Thanks again,

-WTY

Back