Mash tun size...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
Here's the question guys. Finally decided to pull the trigger and go all grain, and in doing so decided to look at coolers for it.

I was going to go with a 36qt Coleman Xtreme, but after looking at one, I'm not so sure...it seems tiny!

So, here's my question, for those with coolers in the 36-40qt and bigger ones like the xtreme 52qt:

1.) I'm only going to be doing 5-6 gal batches, most of which will be in the 1.060-1.070 range. My house staple is a version of BM's Cent. Blonde. Will a 52qt be too big for a 6 gal batch that only calls for 8lbs of grain? That's only about 3 gallons of strike water, which makes me think the grain bed would be too shallow.

2.) For those using a 36-40qt cooler: how full does it get with a 14-15lb grain bill? I keep looking at one thinking its way to small for a IIPA or something similiar but I'm worried about going too big. Is it possible to have too deep a grain bed?

Maybe if someone posted some pictures, I could get an idea of how full a "X" sized cooler looks with "Y" lbs of grain? It's hard to get an idea of size when you have nothing to base it to.

Thanks for the time! :mug:

i use a 5g(20qt) cooler for almost all the beers i make and generally it will hold anything up to a 13-14# grain bill depending on mash rates. if i need a bigger bill i use a 10g which admitedly doesn't happen very often.

and no deep is not a bad thing with grain beds it's shallow you want to avoid

Yeah I read that....I guess I was just worried about having it always filled to the brim and worry about it spilling out while stirring. Guess that shouldn't be an issue!

Back