what to reuse yeast for

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Reaction score
i had this question somewhere else, but no response....i am currently going to wash a wyeast 3724 belgium saison(used in fat tire clone) and a burton ale yeast wlp023(used in a ahbs british ipa)....my question is,can i use the 3724 in any belgium beer and the wlp023 in any ipa beer....or are these specific yeasts for specific beers

You can technically use any yeast for any beer. Some of the by products given off by those specific strains will vary in intensity from one strain to the other.

Also, you need to keep in mind their attenuation rates, so if you want a dry beer, the Saison yeast may be the way to go. I like to use White Labs WLP001 California Ale yeast for a lot of my beers, so I guess you could say that's my "go to yeast". I'm not quite sure that the 3724 would be a good go to, but the WLP023 you may use quite often.

It's your call, but it does save money for you, but will you get the same results? Who knows... can't hurt any. You're making beer one way or another.

I have no experience of the 3724, so I won't address that one.
The 023 could be used for a wide variety of English ales (not just IPA), but I don't think it would work very well with an American IPA.

-a.

Latest posts

Back