Triple hops brewed? That's too strong for me....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Old Style's market share was at it's peak in the 70s. They were on par with PBR back then. If Dennis Hopper had asked for an Old Style instead of Pabst Blue Ribbon in the movie Blue Velvet, hipsters would be drinking Old Style today and the once mighty beer brand would be known nation wide.

I've never heard of this "Old Style" of which you speak. Where is it brewed and sold?

MisterTipsy said:
I think Old Style's market share was at it's peak in the 70s. They were on par with PBR back then. If Dennis Hopper had asked for an Old Style instead of Pabst Blue Ribbon in the movie Blue Velvet, hipsters would be drinking Old Style today and the once mighty beer brand would be known nation wide.

I highly doubt that. You can drink PBR. I'd rather drink Tiger than an Old Style.

Old Style beer wins medals! The last of many was a sliver medal earned in 2010.

Who they had to pay to earn these medals and how much they had to pay remains a mystery.

I highly doubt that. You can drink PBR. I'd rather drink Tiger than an Old Style.

Your palate would have a different point of view if Dennis Hopper preferred an Old Style over Heineken in Blue Velvet instead of PBR. I guarantee it.

Seriously, David Lynch needs a cut from PBR sales. :rockin:

I've never heard of this "Old Style" of which you speak. Where is it brewed and sold?

Old Style is big in Chicago, at least around Wrigley Field. I tried one just to say that I had done so.

Not an experience I care to repeat.

I will admit I have hipster tendancies. But I'm not a total hipster ********* atleast not enough of one to drink PBR because of some movie. I've never seen that movie though. I honestly think PBR is ok beer. Old Style is just terrible.

I will admit I have hipster tendancies. But I'm not a total hipster ********* atleast not enough of one to drink PBR because of some movie. I've never seen that movie though. I honestly think PBR is ok beer. Old Style is just terrible.

I don't know. If you are going to be a hipster and drink cheap American lager beer, it might as well be one that was used in a David Lynch movie. :mug:

This is the scene from the movie. There is some profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not BMC bashing but interesting tag lines...

Prince Igor vodka had bill boards up here in Ontario that touted "Ice filtered for added purity."

Anyone care to explain that one to me? LOL

Only if you can explain "frost brewed" Coors Light. I would love to get my hands on some yeast that fermented at 32F. Or do they boil at 32?

Genjin said:
Only if you can explain "frost brewed" Coors Light. I would love to get my hands on some yeast that fermented at 32F. Or do they boil at 32?

Does cold crashing count as brewing?

Old Style is big in Chicago, at least around Wrigley Field. I tired one just to say that I had done so.

Not an experience I care to repeat.

It's the Official Beer of Wrigley Field.... which makes my dislike for Wrigley that much greater.

As much as we homebrewers like to bash "flavorless beers" homebrewers have spent more time trying to perfect light cream ale and lager recipes to be as flavorless and refreshing as possible!

Light beers have their place. You can't beat BMC for the following uses:

1. Lawn mowing
2. Gardening
3. On the hot sandy beach
4. In Beer pong cups
5. You can't shotgun a homebrew
6. hydration!
7. drinking a lot of beer without getting drunk.

I love craft beers but I'm a sucker for a $1.50 Miller Lite pint on happy hour v. $5 for a craft brew.

Three things sell products:

1. PRICE
2. Sex appeal
3. Advertising gimmicks

i'll beg to differ on #5. lol Though i havent bought BMC in a while, craft does make some good summer/outdoor brews but in certian cases are cheaper and you can drink 20X than two strong craft. Though theres some placed i'll never drink because of the price of BMC, example: music festivals, there is a by annual music festival near where i live which is sponsored by budlight. Which isnt a big deal just listening to some music. the 24oz cans you can find across the street for $3 sells for $11-13 in the place. I know people will buy it because there is no re-entry and just want to get drunk. I'm just dumbfounded on the price. (thats why i sneak in liquor) :D

i'll beg to differ on #5. lol Though i havent bought BMC in a while, craft does make some good summer/outdoor brews but in certian cases are cheaper and you can drink 20X than two strong craft. Though theres some placed i'll never drink because of the price of BMC, example: music festivals, there is a by annual music festival near where i live which is sponsored by budlight. Which isnt a big deal just listening to some music. the 24oz cans you can find across the street for $3 sells for $11-13 in the place. I know people will buy it because there is no re-entry and just want to get drunk. I'm just dumbfounded on the price. (thats why i sneak in liquor) :D

I think $11-$13 for 24 oz cans of BMC is standard concert venue pricing these days...it's ridiculous but they make a killing on it!

As much as we homebrewers like to bash "flavorless beers" homebrewers have spent more time trying to perfect light cream ale and lager recipes to be as flavorless and refreshing as possible!

1. Lawn mowing
2. Gardening
3. On the hot sandy beach
4. In Beer pong cups
5. You can't shotgun a homebrew
6. hydration!
7. drinking a lot of beer without getting drunk.

I love craft beers but I'm a sucker for a $1.50 Miller Lite pint on happy hour v. $5 for a craft brew.

Three things sell products:

1. PRICE
2. Sex appeal
3. Advertising gimmicks

O - You CAN beat BMC....

1. Lawn mowing - S.N. Torpedo
2. Gardening - Sam Adams Light
3. On the hot sandy beach - Corona & Lime, hands down
4. In Beer pong cups - Silver bullet, ill give ya this one.
5. You can't shotgun a homebrew - Really?
6. hydration! - Gatorade!
7. drinking a lot of beer without getting drunk. - Drakes Alpha Session(3.8 abv & super hoppy)

O - You CAN beat BMC....

1. Lawn mowing - S.N. Torpedo
2. Gardening - Sam Adams Light
3. On the hot sandy beach - Corona & Lime, hands down
4. In Beer pong cups - Silver bullet, ill give ya this one.
5. You can't shotgun a homebrew - Really?
6. hydration! - Gatorade!
7. drinking a lot of beer without getting drunk. - Drakes Alpha Session(3.8 abv & super hoppy)

Ok, you can beat it but at 2-5X the price tag. Explain to me how you shotgun a homebrew (assuming shotgunning means punching a hole in the end of the can which allows the beer to run down your throat at the speed of gravity).

Ok, you can beat it but at 2-5X the price tag. Explain to me how you shotgun a homebrew (assuming shotgunning means punching a hole in the end of the can which allows the beer to run down your throat at the speed of gravity).

Never said HOMEBREW, but craft beer.

$1.50 - 16oz can of bud
$2 - 16oz can Serria Nevada

MANY craft brewers are going to cans...

Here are JUST A FEW!!!

21abitterbox.jpg

21swatermelbox.jpg

avbcsummersolsticebox.jpg

baxtersummerbox.jpg

bigskysummer.jpg

flyingdogbox.jpg

mauimanabox.jpg

mauisobrebox.jpg

sierranevadapalebox.jpg

surlybitterbrewbox.jpg

surlycynicbox.jpg

Ok. How to shotgun a homebrew.

1. Open bottle of beer
2. Insert flexible straw into bottle with the flexy part bent at the rim
3. Place lips around rim of bottle and flexy part of the straw leaving the short end of the straw to breathe
4. Turn the bottle up and guzzle it down
5. (Or should it be 0?) Make sure bathroom has plenty of toilet paper for the morning

I learned this trick in Manta Ecuador on a deployment to south america. Had to do that to the pilsner beers there cause they were terrible. Plus im sure they had formaldehyde in them cause the hangover was the worst ever. Felt like my brain was pickled

How to shotgun a bottle of beer...

37696.jpg

I've made one before. Piece of pvc over the neck, drill a hole, put small diameter tube to bottom of bottle, turn upside down.

Here are JUST A FEW!!!

sierranevadapalebox.jpg
That is awesome! I've never seen SN in cans but if it's really only 25% more expensive than BMC I need to find where it's sold like that. At our grocery stores SN Pale Ale in 12 pack bottles sells for $15.99...that's just crazy. I love that beer though and the bottles are nicely reusable for homebrew bottling.

Ok. How to shotgun a homebrew.

1. Open bottle of beer
2. Insert flexible straw into bottle with the flexy part bent at the rim
3. Place lips around rim of bottle and flexy part of the straw leaving the short end of the straw to breathe
4. Turn the bottle up and guzzle it down
5. (Or should it be 0?) Make sure bathroom has plenty of toilet paper for the morning

I learned this trick in Manta Ecuador on a deployment to south america. Had to do that to the pilsner beers there cause they were terrible. Plus im sure they had formaldehyde in them cause the hangover was the worst ever. Felt like my brain was pickled

Nice. I have heard about the straw trick, never tried it...sounds like it would make a nice mess though! :tank:

Jayhem said:
That is awesome! I've never seen SN in cans but if it's really only 25% more expensive than BMC I need to find where it's sold like that. At our grocery stores SN Pale Ale in 12 pack bottles sells for $15.99...that's just crazy. I love that beer though and the bottles are nicely reusable for homebrew bottling.

Nice. I have heard about the straw trick, never tried it...sounds like it would make a nice mess though! :tank:

16$ is about 25% more. ..............

Jayhem said:

1. Lawn mowing - Water. Good beer later
2. Gardening - see number 1
3. On the hot sandy beach - Mostly water, but a nice sub-5.5% pilsner or kolsch is wonderful
4. In Beer pong cups - Can't argue with that, but I'm too old for beer pong
5. You can't shotgun a homebrew - If you want a lot of alcohol in a short time, take a shot
6. hydration! - Ummmm...water
7. drinking a lot of beer without getting drunk. - Drink slower or mix in water to stay hydrated.

Back