Sour Mash Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddDogg84

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have about 70 brews under my belt so far and coming up on my 2 year anniversary of brewing. I never run out of ideas - latest adventure is a Peach Ginger Blonde Ale. I haven't broken into brewing sours, but after seeing James @ Basic Brewing sour a mash in his electric smoker, I have been wondering. If I remember the target is 3 days @ 125° F. I have been eying the new crock pot and the roaster recently. I'm not opposed to introducing bugs, but a sour mash sounds fun.

Have you been able to pull of a sour mash with any common kitchen or household equipment? Crock pot?

Thanks. Look forward to any feedback.

My first sour was a partial sour mash.
I soured 20% of the wort pre brew.
I didn't need anyequipment to do it,as it was mid summer here in Thailand. Just sat it in my front bedroom at about 40c for a week.
Worst thing I ever did! Worse than bottle bombs! Made the house smell of rotten fish,puke and baby poo after the boil and stuck to the house for weeks.
I managed to mask it in the beer to a certain extent by adding loads of goosberries in the secondary.
If you do not already brew outside,this should be your exception

Friends don't let friends sour mash. Use sour worting/kettle souring instead, preferably with a commercial culture instead of just throwing a bunch of random grains in there. And pre-acidify the wort to pH 4.5 using lactic or phosphoric. Combined, there is a much lower chance of developing enteric off-flavors this way.

Haha. I am thinking of making my summer project a Belgian one. If I pull a Chimay yeast and an Orval yeast and build each up, then pitch into subsequent batches of Belgian Pale Ale, Dubbel, Trippel, and Quad; I will have two versions of each. This may be more fun that a sour mash anyway.

Back