"Magic" Filling Line and Overcarbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatmike1968

Reaction score
We've been having some overcarbonation issues and have explored many possible reasons for the excessive carbonation. However, one issue we haven't really looked into is that perhaps we are overfilling our bottles. Would this possibly contribute to overcarbonation? Everything I've ever read merely says that if you over/under fill it may result in bottles not carbonating "correctly". Could someone shed some light on this, or perhaps post a picture of the "perfectly filled bottle"? Thanks!

There is one trick that has always worked consistently for me with bottling volumes on 12 ounce bottles. Using a spring-loaded bottle filler, I fill the 12 ounce bottle completely to the top. When I remove the bottle filler, the bottle volume is perfect for carbonation.

There is one trick that has always worked consistently for me with bottling volumes on 12 ounce bottles. Using a spring-loaded bottle filler, I fill the 12 ounce bottle completely to the top. When I remove the bottle filler, the bottle volume is perfect for carbonation.

+1

I do it the same way. Never had a problem.

Back