Just a few ??'s about carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madcat100

Reaction score
I just recently bottled for the first time and was wanting to know if there is a window of time to be concerned about exploding bottles. Assuming normal temp range is the first, second, or third week when it is most likely to happen?

I was also wanting to know how refrigeration affects the CO2 and amount of carbonation. I would think it would be the same for commercial beer and soda, but they are CO2 injected right?

Lastly, what are the best indicators that my beer is carbing right other than cracking the top.

If you waited until fermentation was done before bottling, then there is no more risk for bottles bombs at any stage. What I mean is, there is no greater risk at week 20 than there is at week 2. The major risks for bottle bombs are bottling too early, or having an infection take hold causing more fermentation in the bottle.

If you want to judge carbonation level without testing one, a good way to do this is to fill a couple of plastic soda bottles or PET bottles with screw tops when you fill the other bottles. When the plastic bottle feels really really hard, then it's carbed up. Put whatever you're trying into the fridge overnight- the cold helps the co2 dissolve into the beer so that it's more evenly carbed and not foamy.

The fridge causes the yeast to go dormant, so the carb level that is in the beer when you stick it in the fridge is what you get when you opened the beer. After about 3 weeks, the sugar is eaten by the yeast, so you won't get further carbonation at room temperature usually. Room temperature is considered about 70-72 degrees for this. If your beer storage area is cooler, it'll take longer for the bottles to carb up.

I used to think bottle bombs were a myth because I never had one (except one time I bottled in a vinegar bottle) As long as you don't bottle too early, get an infection, bottle in a weak bottle (vineger) or use too much sugar you won't get a bottle bomb.

Back