Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan11

Reaction score
After my yeast starter is made, how long do you let it go before pitching it to the wort?

I normally make mine the day before, sometimes two. If I'm planning on chilling it and then pouring off all the beer and just pitching the yeast, I will do it about 5 days ahead of time, let it build for 72 hours and then cold crash for a couple of days and pitch.

I make starters 48 hours before brewing. 24 hours on the stir plate and 24 hours in the fridg. Then pour off the top liquid and pitch.

As said, 24 hrs on stirplate and in 24 fridge is good way to do it.
Leaving it on stirplate too long effect in cells autolysis and decreasing viability. Also, after lag phase is over, it is good to leave it 12 hrs so cells can build their glycogen reserves.

What about simple starters without the use of a stirplate? Same time frames? Or should you allow it to ferment a bit longer?

Without a stir plate, I do a starter 5-7 days ahead of time. Give it 3-4 days to ferment out, then into the fridge. It can stay in there for a week or so until you're ready to use it.

The wyeast video says 1 day before. So if you plan on brewing friday night, make the starter thursday night.

24hrs into fermentation and WOW what a difference a starter makes. I usually have 1/2" to 1" of krausen but today its 3" and growing still I think.

I made a starter with stir plate 2 nights before brew day, my first starter ever. And well, its like my 7th or 8th batch but I can tell a huge difference.

After my yeast starter is made, how long do you let it go before pitching it to the wort?

It depends on how you want to use it.

If you just want to "wake the yeast up" make a .5L starter and it should be ready to go in 6-12 hours.

If you want to step it up, Make a 1.5-2L starter and don't stir it more than 36 hours, then put it in the fridge to let the yeast drop out. When you have seen the yeast drop to the bottom, they're ready. Pour off almost all the wort, leaving a bit to stir up the yeast and pitch or just stir it up and pitch the whole 2L. If you want to step it up again, make another 2L starter and pour off the beer you already made leaving a little to stir up the yeast pitch it into the new starter you made and repeat previous steps.

Back