Well that's no good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrad1

Reaction score
So I'm just finishing my degree and found a job, but there is a small problem. The county where I will be moving to has this fun little no grill law, this means that anyone living in a rental property is not allowed to own a grill or use a grill in the property. Alone this is already terrible(there are grills provided by the housing complex but it's still not my own grill), but this also applies to my burner I use in my brewing.

What I'm wondering is:
  • does anyone have any experience with laws like this?
  • I know I have seen stuff about heatsticks to brew, but is this feasible?
  • This is in Minnesota, suburb of the cities, are they any places in the cities where I would be able to brew?

Other people have had to deal with similar laws. Partial mashes and boils on the stove may be your only alternative. Heatsticks work, but they take a couple of dedicated power circuits.

There might be brew-on-premise places. Not as good as having your own setup, but it works. Or track down a brewing club.

We have that stupid ass law here too, not allowed to have a BBQ or Gas grill on a balcony for fire/safety reasons. I think it makes sense, but it's stooopid!

I don't know what to say. I have a personal feeling about these sort of laws, but obviously they were made because someone burnt something down.

Not sure how these laws are enforced, it might be easier to get away with boiling on a burner, vice grilling, but the smell is still likely to attract some attention. (I am not necessarily advocating that you break the law.)

Good part is that you have a job, time to start saving for an electric brew system.

My condo association has the same rule because of a fire that happened a few years ago. Some idiot left lit candles on their deck and somehow they got knocked over and started a fire. Now open flames aren't allowed on the decks, although they do have some designated grilling areas. We have gas stoves, so I do partial mashes on it. I have to use 2 burners, but I can do full boils in a 7.5 gallon pot, so smaller gravity all-grain batches wouldn't be out of the question entirely.

You said there are grills provided by the housing complex? Maybe you should check with them to see if you would be allowed to use your burner in their designated areas. You'd have to figure out something for carrying back the hot wort after the boil, but it should be doable.

usually this law is only applicable up to a certain distance from the building.. where i live (houston), I think it's 10 feet. do you happen to be on bottom floor? if so, surely you can get far enough away to be outside of the law.. if upper floor.. same idea but gotta bring stuff up and down stairs.

All very good input, I will have to ask some more questions as to where the law applies to. I did ask and was told I wasn't allowed to even have a propane tank, but that's not that big of a deal I'm sure it wouldn't be the only illegal thing in my apartment.

So far it looks like I may be able to brew in the yard, buy a home, or move elsewhere.

We have that where I live also. Technically its xxx feet from dwelling. But if you are grilling then they know you are storing it in your apartment which is also a no no. Depending on where you are it may or may not be strictly enforced. In my case, my HOA throws a hissy fit for every minor thing on earth. So there is no way I tempt them.

Open the window and brew inside. I know a Lebenese guy who grills with charcoal inside. Just prop up a little fan for ventilation and a fire extinguisher.

I lived in Roseville and you couldn't have a grill on your balcony, but the appt provided grills for you to use...maybe talk with them and see if you could use your burner out next to the BBQs? Hell, it'd be a surefire quick way to make friends...

Yeah grilling with charcoal inside is a terrible idea.

You'll have to find a workaround for this one. Remember, homebrewers are not strangers to breaking the law. It was illegal nationally until only a couple decades ago and even now it's illegal in some states. So yeah, workaround! Congrats on the new job too, btw!

So far it seems like brewing outside near the grills will be my best option. Luckily I got invited to an interview for a better position in Appleton today so if I get an offer that will be the preferred work around.

a lot of communities have this code that keeps an open flame x amount of feet away from a multi family dwelling . Storing any propane tank that is over 1 lb inside is also against most fire codes

Latest posts

Back